Accounting Manager (CLE)
The Cleveland office of McDonald Hopkins is in search of an Accounting Manager to perform accurate monthly reporting, financial analysis and take responsibility for trust accounts and certain treasury functions. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, year end review preparation and the support of budget activities. The Accounting Manager will have contact with senior-level Attorneys and the firm's Executive Director and Controller which requires strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs the month-end close process. This includes closing the month in the accounting system, report generation, preparation and distribution of reporting packages to Board of Directors and Members.
- Assists the Controller in creating the annual budget.
- Assists with the set-up and maintenance of the electronic billing hub (i.e. e-invoicing portal).
- Performs financial analysis
- Works closely with attorneys, administrative assistants, and firm administration to ensure requests made of the department are being resolved in a timely manner.
- Prepares and records monthly journal entries.
- Responsible for trust and IOLTA cash accounts. This includes recording deposits and payments out of these accounts and the daily monitoring of the accounts to insure all transactions are accounted for.
- Prepares, initiates, and records wire transfers and ACHS.
- Reviews and prepares the daily cash summary from daily bank reports.
- Performs general ledger maintenance. Adds new timekeepers, vendor set-up, general ledger accounts, etc.
- Prepares monthly Board of Directors financial summary and presentation.
- Submit 1099s electronically to IRS each year.
- Manages invoices received from foreign law firms, initiates wire transfers, and enters vouchers in the Accounting system. Provides Controller with updates on amount of invoices due and timing of when payment needs to occur.
- Prepares unclaimed funds analysis and files respective state reports on an annual basis. This includes communicating with attorneys on frequent basis to understand credit balance on-hand.
- Assist with the year-end financial statement review by preparing schedules.
- Work with the company's Political Action Committee (PAC) and third party consultants to issue checks from the company's PAC. Provide updates and financial statements on a monthly basis to the company's PAC.
- Review expense reports for compliance and appropriate supporting documentation.
- Submits estimated fees and costs for services performed to clients on a monthly basis.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director or Controller.
- Work closely and communicate effectively with others in Accounting, attorneys, and support staff.
- Support Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Learn the firm's matter pricing software and assist/back-up Senior Pricing Analyst as needed.
- Work overtime as needed.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Undergraduate degree in accounting with a minimum of 3 to 5 years experience.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- High attention to detail; organized.
- Developed knowledge of basic accounting.
- Effective interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills.
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Computer skills: accounting system, word processing, and spreadsheet software capabilities