Webcast -- Data Privacy: Legal Risks, Mitigation and Response for Municipalities
When people think about data security breaches, most often they think about incidents with retail stores like Target where credit and debit cards get breached and personal information is stolen. But what many municipalities don’t realize is that some of the biggest data security threats actually come from information they maintain and the legal and financial risk if that information is compromised. Data breaches are costly and more common than you think. If you are responsible for human resources, IT, marketing, legal, risk management or protect your municipality’s data, you need to attend this session.
- Identifying/Defining PII and PHI
- What is a “Data Breach”? (under state laws; under HIPAA)
- Primary types of data breach/cyber claims
- Costs of non-compliance
- Regulatory compliance (state, federal and industry-specific requirements)
- Credit card/PCI compliance
- Real-world examples
- PII destruction/Disposal laws & practices
- Proactive policies, including incident response plan, written information security program (WISP), training, confidentiality agreements, and employee policies
- Anatomy of a data breach/cyber claim (steps you must take once an incident is suspected)
- Breach notification process, including coordination with forensics, crisis communication, mail house, call center, and credit monitoring vendors
- Contractual negotiations with municipalities' vendors
- Common questions from municipalities
NBI Advanced Employment Law: Handle Employment Law Difficulties with Confidence
Monday, August 6, 2018
Advanced Employment Law: What You Need to Know
The FLSA, NBI Advanced Employment Law: What You Need to Know
Tuesday, August 7, 2018
Ryan T. Neumeyer, McDonald Hopkins LLC, will present "The FLSA" at NBI's Advanced Employment Law seminar on August 7, 2018.
Real Estate Law Boot Camp
Wednesday, September 12, 2018
John Heer, McDonald Hopkins, will speak at the Real Estate Law Boot Camp.
From the Constitution to Today’s Immigration System, a Legal Primer for Non-Lawyers
Monday, September 17, 2018
Isabelle Bibet-Kalinyak will discuss, "From the Constitution to Today’s Immigration System, a Legal Primer for Non-Lawyers"