Across the country and around the world, companies rely on us for sound business counsel regarding international operations. Our attorneys can assist you with a wide variety of global transactions, including:
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions
- Establishing foreign subsidiaries
- Establishing or dissolving joint ventures and strategic alliances between U.S. and foreign business entities
- Establishing or terminating distributors and sales agents in numerous foreign countries
- Purchasing or selling goods and services across borders
We can also proactively work with you to identify and apply U.S. laws and regulations that affect your international trade operations, including:
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Export controls
- Export licensing
- Anti-boycott laws
- Economic sanctions
- U.S. customs matters and compliance
- NAFTA regulations
- Anti-dumping/countervailing duty laws
And, with our partnership with the International Lawyers Network, you have access to the knowledge and experience of more than 5,000 attorneys in 67 countries.
- Assisted Dominican Republic-based company in establishment of mining joint venture with U.S. investor group.
- Assisted U.S. company in acquisition and divestiture transactions in Mexico.
- Establishment of a joint venture between a U.S. company and a German company to manufacture aircraft components in the U.S.
- Establishment of a joint venture between two U.S. companies to provide logistics services in China.
- Assisted Sri Lanka company in negotiation of strategic alliance with U.S. company.
- Assisted publicly-traded Indian company in establishment of U.S. operations.
- Establishment of a joint venture between a U.S. company and a Mexican company to provide industrial water treatment services in Mexico.
- Establishment of a joint venture between a U.S. company and a French company to distribute a specialty plastic product throughout the EU.
- Establishment of a strategic alliance to help a European chemical company penetrate the U.S. market and enhance a U.S. company’s sales efforts in the EU and Asia.
- Establishment of new subsidiaries of U.S. companies in Singapore, China, Brazil, and Argentina.
- Projects to construct manufacturing plants in China and Singapore.
- Negotiated technology and trademark license arrangements between a U.S. company and an Argentine company.
- Assisted client with dissolution of a European joint venture and purchase of assets of joint venture.
- Assisted U.S. manufacturer with $12 million acquisition of a Spanish manufacturing and distribution company.
- Assisted U.S. company with sale of its operations in various foreign countries as part of divestiture of its global manufacturing business.
- Assisted global manufacturer with various sale-leaseback transactions involving manufacturer’s manufacturing locations in various countries.
- Assisted clients with sales of real property and construction projects in various foreign countries.
- Assisted Central American bank client in multi-million dollar purchase of bills of exchange from European manufacturing company.
- Advised U.S.-based medical laboratory in strategic alliance with Chinese company to provide medical laboratory services in China.
- Assisted numerous clients in use of documentary letters of credit and standby letters of credit in cross-border sales of goods.
- Assisted Fortune 500 multi-national manufacturer in establishment of distribution and sales representative agreements on worldwide basis.
- Assisted Taiwanese company in strategic investment in U.S. company.
- Assisted U.S. plumbing parts manufacturer in negotiation of custom manufacturing agreement with supplier in Thailand.
- Assisted U.S. manufacturer of industrial equipment with establishment of 80 percent-owned joint venture in China.
- Assisted U.S.based multi-national chemical manufacturer with negotiation of seven-year global supply contract with German raw material supplier involving supply of critical raw materials
- Assisted a global manufacturer with regard to Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations arising out of sales of products in South Korea, China and Singapore.
- Advised manufacturer of night vision equipment on export licensing matters and assisted client in registering with and obtaining licenses from appropriate federal agencies to obtain export licenses.
- Assisted numerous clients concerning determination of export licensing requirements for their products and assisted clients in preparation of license applications, Technical Assistance Agreements (TAAs) and Manufacturing License Agreements (MLAs) when needed.
- Provided training sessions/programs to management, sales and marketing employees of global manufacturer regarding EU competition laws, FCPA compliance, antiboycott laws and U.S. economic sanctions.
- Advised multiple clients in matters arising out of U.S. economic sanctions against various countries, including Iran, Syria, Libya, Cuba, and Sudan.
- Advised multiple clients in matters raising potential issues under Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Assisted numerous foreign purchasers of U.S. companies, as well as multiple U.S. companies selling to foreign buyers, with preparing and filing voluntary notices to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS).
- Advised several foreign purchasers concerning the negotiation of agreements with Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. (CFIUS) and Department of Defense (DOD) to mitigate Foreign Ownership, Control and Influence (FOCI) and enable acquisition of U.S. companies and assets.
- Advised several U.S. defense contractors concerning compliance with Defense Priorities and Allocations System (DPAS) regulations and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations (DFAR).
- Prepared export compliance manuals and policies for multiple clients containing practical guidance for employees concerning application and requirements of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations, and related executive orders.
- Assisted global manufacturer with preparation of voluntary disclosure to U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) regarding violation of antiboycott laws.
- Advised aircraft parts manufacturer concerning effect of President’s Export Control Reform Initiative and impact of regulatory changes on the export classifications of its products.
- Prepared International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) compliance training materials and gave presentations to company employees and executives regarding same.
- Assisted international logistics provider with preparation of voluntary disclosure to U.S. department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) regarding violation of Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Assisted global defense manufacturer in preparation of consent agreement with U.S. State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) stemming from International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) violations.
- Supervised internal investigation and prepared resultant voluntary disclosure by international retail goods provider to U.S. Census Bureau concerning violations of Automated Export System (AES) filing requirements under Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR).
- Assisted client with internal investigation of potential violations of federal and state customs regulations governing the importation of products derived from endangered and threatened wildlife species.
- Conducted internal investigation of violations of U.S. economic sanctions by global NYSE listed company; prepared voluntary disclosure to U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regarding same.
- Advised multiple clients concerning violations of International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) regulations and prepared voluntary disclosures to U.S. State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) in order to obtain reduced penalties and fines.
- Assisted several domestic companies in filing required notices with U.S. State Department Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) concerning their mergers, acquisitions and divestments to foreign buyers.
- Advised manufacturer of nuclear components and parts concerning application of regulations governed by Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and assisted client in obtaining necessary licenses and export authorizations.
- Advised importer of Mexican goods concerning Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) program requirements and steps needed to obtain Fast and Secure Trade (FAST) lane access.
Related ExpertiseBusiness counseling
- Jeff Van Winkle