Colleges and universities
Meeting the needs of your college or university requires a full team of specialized attorneys who understand the unique challenges you face. Our attorneys provide legal counsel to institutions across the country. From creative insight on your complex, multilayered finance projects, to assistance designing deferred compensation programs and severance packages for educational executives, to protecting your intellectual property – our firm offers a full circle of services designed to help your college or university succeed. We have a specific track record of successfully representing private liberal arts colleges and universities.
We provide a comprehensive list of services to college and university clients, including:
- Corporate issues and governance
- Data privacy and cybersecurity
- Directors and officers litigation
- Employee benefits and executive compensation
- Intellectual property and technology transfer
- Labor and employment counseling and litigation
- Nonprofit issues
- Real estate
- State and local government affairs
- Represented an institution of higher education in all aspects of its $35 million rehabilitation and modernization of a historic building, including development agreements, construction documents, commercial debt financing, obtaining and syndicating federal historic rehabilitation tax credits, state historic rehabilitation tax credits and new markets tax credits, applying for and complying with the requirements of state and federal grants and subsidies, and assisting with capital campaign activities
- Represented a leading private liberal arts college in the redevelopment of a historic theater for use as a modern commercial movie theater and for educational advancement purposes, financed in part with federal historic rehabilitation tax credits, state historic rehabilitation tax credits, and new markets tax credits
- Represented an Ohio university in the complete rehabilitation of a historic dormitory utilizing federal historic rehabilitation tax credits and state historic rehabilitation tax credits to supplement the university’s capital campaign
- Pass or fail? Data privacy and cybersecurity in higher education - Because of the vast amount of data they collect and maintain, and the openness of their online communities, colleges and universities are increasingly the targets of cyber attacks. Click on the title to download this white paper, which takes an in-depth look at the specific cyber risks for institutions of higher education, common causes and costs of a breach, and what preventative steps can be taken to prevent a breach.