Labor and employment litigation
Whether you are a small to mid-size employer or a Fortune 500 company, and no matter your industry, McDonald Hopkins can help you with all aspects of employment litigation, including:
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Class action litigation in state and federal court
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Non-competition disputes
- Public policy claims in state and federal courts across the country
- Title VII
- Unfair labor practice charges
- Wage and hour disputes
- Workers’ compensation claims
- Wrongful discharge
When problems arise, we'll first look if the matter can and should be resolved without you incurring expensive, time-consuming court proceedings. If a satisfactory resolution can't be obtained, we are prepared to aggressively litigate your case through discovery, hearings, trials and appeals. Our experience includes representing clients before agencies such as:
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and similar state agencies
- Department of Labor
- National Labor Relations Board
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Successfully handling the defense of several wrongful termination lawsuits for local and national banks and financial institutions.
- Handling the defense of a federal court FLSA class action lawsuit primarily alleging unpaid wages and overtime for a fast food franchisee with multiple locations. The matter was hotly contested. We were able to limit the amount of the class members and eventually negotiated a resolution that was favorable to our client.
- Obtaining a jury verdict of no liability in favor of a hospital, physician group and its president on claims brought by a former physician-employee for breach of contract and wrongful discharge.
- Obtaining summary judgment in U.S. District Court in favor of a restaurant franchisee operating over 900 restaurants and employing over 25,000 individuals in case involving allegations of discrimination and wrongful discharge.
- Obtaining summary judgment in U.S. District Court in favor of a global automotive parts supplier in multi-plaintiff lawsuit alleging race discrimination and retaliation.
- Obtaining summary judgment in U.S. District Court in favor of a national automobile dealership in case involving allegations of race and national origin discrimination.
- Successfully negotiating favorable settlement for a franchisee of national restaurant chain in class action lawsuit alleging overtime violations under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Obtaining summary judgment in U.S. District Court in favor of a global diversified manufacturer in lawsuit alleging age and disability discrimination.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a regional manufacturer in case involving whistleblowing allegations on behalf of former employee.
- Defending hundreds of claims from terminated employees before the EEOC, state civil rights agencies, National Labor Relations Board and before other agencies. Well over ninety percent of the cases we have defended have resulted in decisions for our clients or withdrawals of the claims by the employees.