Corporatecaronline, a Kirkwood, Missouri software company that brokers reservations for limousine and Town Car services nationwide, was recently hacked. What makes this data breach different from others is the individuals whose information was compromised belongs to Fortune 500 CEOs, congressmen, and A-list celebrities. Hackers obtained more than 850,000 credit card numbers, expiration dates, and associated names and addresses, and pickup and drop-off information, and other personal details. More than one-quarter (241,000) of all compromised card numbers were high or no-limit American Express accounts.
The other personal information varies, but could be deemed quite intrusive. For example, a chauffeur driving Tom Hanks to a Chicago restaurant for dinner was advised the client was a “VVIP” who required “No cell/radio use” by the driver.
The following are other high-profile individuals whose information was compromised:
- LeBron James – Thomas & Mack Center sports arena, athlete entrance, July 22, 2007; “Call Lynn upon arrival.”
- Aaron Rodgers - Duncan Aviation, Kalamazoo, Mich., June 26, 2010; “Kregg Lumpkin and wife. 3 Bottle Waters. Greg Jennings Foundation.”
- Current and Former Congressmen-House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. John Conyers, (D-Mich.), July
4, 2011, Indianapolis International Airport; “Meet and Greet Baggage Claim. US Congressman. A DFTU situation”
- Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.), chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee’s Subcommittee on Strategic Forces. Boston Logan Intl. Airport, Sept. 14, 2009; “Contact if need be Yolanda Magallanes. Client will have golf clubs with him.”
- Other current members of Congress whose information appears in this database include Rep. Joe Garcia (D-Fla.); Rep. Gus Bilirakis
(R-Fla.); Rep. Jim Matheson (D-Utah); Rep. Lynn Westmoreland, Rep. Joe Baca (D-Calif.), Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.).
- Sen. Tom Daschle (D-SD), Des Moines, Iowa, July 21, 2010; “Ag Innovation Committee. Passengers plus luggage. Passengers: Lori Captain, Mary Langowski, Jonathan Sallet, Tom West, Jim Collins, Senator Tom Daschle, JB Penn, Anthony Farina.”
- Sen. John Breaux (D-La.), Aug. 27, 2010; “Ambassador Steven Green & Senator Breaux. ***VIP***DO NOT COLLECT”
- Rep. James Saxton (R-NJ), Rep. William Delahunt (D-Mass.), Rep. Billy Tauzin (R-La.),
- Donald Trump, Wynn Hotel, Las Vegas, Feb. 12, 2007: “Must be new car, clean, and front seat must be clear.”
- Michael D. Grimes, co-head of global technology investment banking for Morgan
Stanley. Jan. 30, 2013; “Always wants ‘Michael David’ for name sign. Do not use last name! Always wants inside meet. VIP, co-head of worldwide technology.”
- Bruce Chesley, director, advanced space and intelligence systems, Boeing; LAX, July 5, 2013.
- Josue Christiano Gomes da Silva, chairman and CEO of Companhia de Tecidos Norte de Minas, the largest textile group in Latin America, June 2, 2013: “Cheauffeur meets inside luggage claim with printed name sign. SUPER VIP CLIENT. EVERYTHING MUST BE PERFECT!”
- Patrick M. Prevost, president and CEO, Cabot Corp. June 2, 2013; “SUPER VIP he is CEO of Cabot Corp!”
- Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen and Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, the former and current CEOs of Lego Corp.