Tony has a broad range of experience with publicly held and large privately held businesses in both the law firm and corporate setting. His diverse practice encompasses many areas, including mergers and acquisitions, international business matters and various other areas of commercial and business law. Tony has represented U.S. companies in their international activities and foreign companies in their operations in the United States. He also has extensive experience representing healthcare providers in a variety of strategic business transactions and has represented industrial companies and financial institutions in complex commercial transactions, including financial derivatives and swap transactions.
Before joining the firm, Tony spent 11 years as in-house counsel at Noveon, Inc. (formerly the specialty chemicals business segment of The B.F. Goodrich Company) and The B.F. Goodrich Company in a number of positions, most recently serving as Group Counsel to Noveon’s Performance Coatings Group. In this position, he was primary legal counsel to Noveon’s largest business unit, responsible for advising its global operations on all legal matters, and had additional responsibilities as primary legal counsel to Noveon’s corporate global purchasing, tax and treasury functions. Tony began his legal career as an associate attorney with another major Cleveland, Ohio law firm where his practice focused on corporate and securities law.
Tony earned a J.D., magna cum laude, from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 1986. He received a B.S., with honors, from the University of Virginia's McIntire School of Commerce in 1982. Tony participated in the Professional Fellows Program at Case Western Reserve University's Weatherhead School of Management in 1996.
Mergers and Acquisitions/Other Domestic Transactions:
- Represented multiple dermatologists in sales of practices to private equity backed firms.
- Represented multi-national manufacturer of inks and coatings in complex, three-stage acquisition transaction valued at more than $100 million.
- Represented healthcare technology company in debt/equity financing transaction.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in partial sale/strategic alliance transaction.
- Represented multiple clients in acquisitions or divestitures of financially-distressed businesses.
- Represented multiple regional medical laboratories in recapitalization transactions with private equity funds.
- Represented large regional medical laboratory in sale of assets to publicly-traded laboratory company.
- Represented world-renowned academic medical center in divestiture of its outreach medical laboratory business.
- Acted as primary venture counsel in establishment of clinical laboratory joint venture between regional hospital system and large multi-location clinic. Continued as primary corporate counsel to joint venture entity.
- Represented numerous pathologist-owned and hospital-owned medical laboratories involved in merger, acquisition and joint venture activities.
- Represented retail/import-export company in sale of its wholesale division.
- Represented regional telephone company in establishment of numerous joint ventures in the cellular telephone business and in connection with several acquisition transactions.
- Represented management team in buyout of healthcare consulting firm from corporate owner.
- Represented privately-owned Chinese manufacturer in strategic acquisition in the U.S.
- Represented German company in acquisition of privately-held U.S. chemical manufacturer in transaction valued at approximately $100 million
- Represented Canadian logistics services company in multiple acquisitions in the U.S.
- Represented U.S. company with operations in the Dominican Republic in establishment of mining joint venture in the Dominican Republic.
- Counseled publicly-traded India-based company in establishment of its U.S. operations, including choice of entity for U.S. subsidiary, tax structuring of relationships between U.S. subsidiary and its Indian parent company and counseling client regarding compliance with various U.S. federal and state laws and regulations.
- Represented U.S.-based company in acquisition and divestiture transactions in Mexico.
- Represented Latin American bank client in multi-million dollar transaction to acquire bills of exchange from Swiss Company.
- Counseled clients on various matters involving regulation of international business activities, including export licensing, importation/customs issues, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues and country of origin labeling issues.
- Represented U.S.-based logistics services company in establishment of joint venture in China.
- Represented Sri Lanka-based manufacturing company in establishment of strategic alliance with U.S.-based company.
- Represented large domestic chemical company in establishment of joint venture/strategic alliance with large European chemical company.
- Represented industrial water treatment service company in connection with establishment of joint venture to provide industrial water treatment services in Mexico, including investigation of opportunity, structuring of joint venture, drafting and negotiation of contracts, and establishment of two business entities.
- Represented numerous U.S. companies in the establishment and termination of distributor and sales agent relationships in the U.S. and numerous foreign countries.
- Represented multi-national inks and coatings manufacturer in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a large U.S. based inks and coatings manufacturer for $100 million.
Business Counseling/Commercial Matters:
- Represented Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in multiple long-term commercial contracts for delivery of electrical and thermal energy and installation of solar and electrical cogeneration assets at several of its major domestic manufacturing facilities.
- Represented Fortune 100 pharmaceutical company in long-term commercial contract for installation of new on-site water treatment system and provision of water treatment services at one of its major domestic manufacturing facilities.
- Represented U.S. manufacturer of plastic products in joint research and development agreement/supply agreement with Fortune 100 multi-national pharmaceutical manufacturer.
- Represented large regional banks and industrial company clients in numerous financial derivatives/swap transactions and letter of credit transactions.
- Served as interim general counsel of $1 billion sales manufacturing company, assisting client in negotiation of various commercial contracts, preparation of filings with Securities and Exchange Commission and other corporate matters.
- Represented large chemical manufacturer in connection with conduct of its day-to-day global business operations, including negotiation and handling of all aspects of numerous acquisition and disposition transactions, establishment of joint ventures and strategic alliances, drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts of all types, and various legal compliance matters, including antitrust issues and international trade regulation matters.
- Represented industrial water treatment service company in connection with negotiation and establishment of over $150 million worth of long-term commercial contracts with major customers in utility, chemical, oil and semiconductor industries.
- Represented numerous land owners in oil and gas leases and related transactions.
- Represented investors in oil and gas drilling partnerships and similar investments.
- Counseled clients with respect to numerous types of antitrust/competition law issues advising in connection with various business transactions and commercial arrangements and day-to-day business operations.
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management, Professional Fellows Program
- University of Virginia - McIntire School of Commerce
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Chairman, International Law Section, 2010-2011
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Corporate Counsel Association, member 1992-2002
Shale boom resilient to falling oil prices
Falling oil prices test shale boom
Prudence needed in shale boom investments
Riding the tailwind of the fracking revolution
The expanding midstream environment breeds tricky contract issues
Urgent care business has prescription for growth
Panama Canal Construction Dispute Threatens LNG Exports
- "Taming Commodity Volatility," Inside Supply Management, February 2012
- "Northeast Ohio's Global Challenge," Cleveland Bar Journal, April 2007
- "International Alliances Offer Opportunities to Spur Growth," Smart Business Cleveland, June 2005
- “John Carroll University Derivatives Forum,” (Panelist in Financial Derivatives Program hosted by John Carroll University and sponsored by KPMG, PLL), April 2012
- “Contracting, Teaming and Joint Ventures in the United States: Key Legal and Practical Issues,” (Co-Presented with Michelle Kantor of McDonald Hopkins), United States – South Africa Women's Business Forum, October 2011
- “Specialty Labs: Sources of Capital and Key Considerations to Grow the Value of Your Lab and Its Intellectual Property,” Executive War College, May 2011
- “Prepare Now for the Deal in Your Lab's Future: Key Business and Tax Steps,” Executive War College, May 2011
- “New Legal, Compliance and Business Issues in Recent Lab Transactions,” Executive War College, April 2010
- “Key Legal and Business Issues with Laboratory Joint Ventures,” Executive War College, April 2009
- “Mergers and Acquisitions in the Pathology and Medical Laboratory Industry: Maximizing Value and Positioning Your Lab for Sale,” Executive War College, May 2008 (presentation repeated as part of Dark Report Webinar, July 2008)
- “Legal Aspects and Nuts and Bolts of the M&A Transaction,” Executive War College, May 2008
- “Mergers and Acquisitions in the Laboratory Industry,” given at G2 Medical Laboratory Industry Conference, October 2007