Bruce E. Reinhart is a nationally recognized trial attorney and distinguished former federal prosecutor. Bruce is Co-Chair of the firm's Government Compliance, Investigations and White Collar Defense Practice Group.
Bruce defends corporations and individuals in federal criminal investigations and regulatory enforcement matters. He conducts internal investigations and provides compliance counseling for businesses of all sizes in a wide range of industries. Bruce also represents corporations and individuals in asset forfeiture proceedings, including, in one case, successfully reacquiring over $1 million in property for a Fortune 500 company. He has also sought civil enforcement and injunctions to protect client’s intellectual property.
Bruce’s extensive experience includes having served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Florida for over 11 years, as Senior Policy Advisor to the Undersecretary for Enforcement at the U.S. Treasury Department, and as a Trial Attorney in the Public Integrity Section of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.
Bruce earned his J.D., cum laude, from University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1987. He received a B.S.E., cum laude, from Princeton University in 1984.
Bruce's background includes:
- Over 50 jury trials to verdict in federal court.
- More than 100 federal grand jury investigations including complex financial crimes, health care fraud, tax fraud, violent crimes, narcotics, and public corruption.
- Conducting internal investigations of multi-million dollar employee embezzlements.
- Hundreds of contested hearings in federal courts throughout the United States.
- Pursuing and defending qui tam actions under the False Claims Act.
- Over 200 federal sentencing hearings under the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines.
- Oral arguments before three U.S. Courts of Appeals.
- Asset forfeiture, restitution, and post-conviction litigation.
- Training other lawyers in trial advocacy, criminal practice, and ethics.
- NewsMax TV | Prime, July 24, 2105. "Betsy McCaughey and Bruce Reinhart on possible probe of Hillary Clinton emails," (click here to watch)
- NewsMax TV | MidPoint, March 12, 2015. "Bruce Reinhart discusses the Clinton email scandal," (click here to watch).
- America's Forum, November 25, 2014. "Bruce Reinhart discusses how the prosecutor in the Ferguson shooting case handled the grand jury decision," (click here to watch).
- America's Forum, November 19, 2014. "Bruce Reinhart discusses Ferguson case," (click here to watch).
- America's Forum, July 17, 2014. "Bruce Reinhart talks about the investigation of the IRS scandal," (click here to watch).
- THELAW.TV, August 20, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "Will Eric Holder set drug offenders free?" (click here to watch).
- The Golf Exchange Presented by the "Honda Classic", July 28, 2013 (click here to listen).
- THELAW.TV, July 30, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "Manning: Not Guilty, Aiding Enemy; Guilty On Other Charges," (click here to watch).
- THELAW.TV, July 23, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "Where Do We Go After the Zimmerman Verdict?" (click here to view the article).
- THELAW.TV, July 15, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "George Zimmerman Case: Verdict Analysis," (click here to watch).
- THELAW.TV, July 8, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "George Zimmerman Case: Week-In-Review," (click here to watch).
- THELAW.TV, July 1, 2013. Interviewed for the segment "Evidence Stacking Up Against Aaron Hernandez," (click here to watch).
- WKYC, March, 22, 2012. @ The Table: Florida gun law (click here to watch).
- MSNBC Live, July 15, 2011. Discussing Casey Anthony and Roger Clemens cases (click here to watch).
- Radio Investigator. Discussing public corruption and honest services fraud (click here to listen).
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Addiction treatment bonanza: How urine tests rake in millions," The Palm Beach Post, August 1, 2015
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Walter | Haverfield attorney building a budding business in pot law," Crain's Cleveland Business, July 26, 2015
- Bruce Reinhart featured in "No Sanctions For DQ'd Atty In Medical Supplies Co. FCA Suit," Law360, April 27, 2015
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "District Judge Robin Rosenberg Disqualifies Fort Lauderdale Lawyer in Whistleblower Case," Daily Business Review, April 13, 2015
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "UPDATE 1-SEC charges QSGI CEO, former CFO over internal control failures," REUTERS, July 30, 2014.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "US to Settle with African Leader's Son in $71 Million Graft Cases," 100 Reporters, July 21, 2014.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "South Florida defense attorneys say Zimmerman has made his case," The Palm Beach Post, July 11, 2013.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Federal prosecutors drop case against John Edwards," The Associated Press, June 13, 2012.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Reason for criminal charges in Edwards case remain unclear," News & Observer, June 11, 2012.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Sandusky federal investigation may have different focus," CNN, March 2, 2012.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Experts: Penn State investigation could focus on cover-up," The Patriot-News, March 2, 2012.
- Bruce Reinhart discusses healthcare fraud in "Drugging juveniles: Doctors hired to evaluate kids in state custody have taken huge payments from drug companies," Palm Beach Post, March 23, 2011.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Gov. Rick Scott's Drug Testing Policy Stirs Suspicion," Palm Beach Post, March 27, 2011.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "No Indictments From Grand Jury Probe of Broward Schools, So Now What?," Fort Lauderdale, Sun-Sentinel, March 7, 2011.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Judge Upholds Masilotti Conviction But Opens Door To Get Land Back," Palm Beach Post, January 22, 2011.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Scott Rothstein Scandal: One Year Later," Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, November 1, 2010.
- Bruce Reinhart quoted in "Justices Set Aside Black Conviction," Palm Beach Daily News, June 25, 2010.
- Bruce Reinhart profiled in "West Palm office busy amid sea of changes," Daily Business Review, September 24, 2007.
- Representation of medical doctor accused of 16 counts of health care fraud. After two-month trial in federal court in Southern District of Florida, client was acquitted on all counts.
- Representation of an international law firm that was a victim in a multi-billion-dollar fraud scheme. Pursued claims in asset forfeiture, bankruptcy, and restitution proceedings.
- Conducted internal investigation of employee theft from service industry client, resulting in multi-million dollar insurance recovery.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 finance company as innocent owner in federal civil and criminal asset forfeiture proceedings. Over $1 million in seized assets were recovered.
- Successful trademark infringement action brought in Central District of California, resulting in permanent injunctive relief.
- Representation of co-owner of charter aircraft company charged in the District of New Jersey with obstructing Federal Aviation Administration, defrauding charter customers, and making false statements. Client acquitted of all false statement and obstruction charges.\
- Representation of construction company owner accused of evading federal payroll taxes.
- Representation of securities trader as witness in grand jury investigation conducted by the Eastern District of New York.
- Representation of former executive of a failed bank in grand jury investigation in the Middle District of Florida.
- Representation of U.S. Congressman being investigated for possible federal election crimes. No charges were brought.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
Admissions - State
- New Jersey
- Princeton University
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers (2012-2016)
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite 2010
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- U.S. Attorney General's Honor Program
- Undersecretary of the Treasury Exceptional Service Award
- U.S. Department of Justice Special Achievement Awards for Meritorious Acts and Service
- West Palm Beach Police Department Distinguished Service Award
- Federal Employee of the Year nominee
- South Florida's Most Effective Lawyers nominee
- Member, Florida Bar Professional Ethics Committee (Beginning July 2014)
- Adjunct Professor, Florida Atlantic University, College of Criminal Justice
- Past President, Palm Beach County Federal Bar Association
- Southern District of Florida Ad Hoc Committee on Attorney Admissions, Peer Review and Attorney Grievance (2007-2010)
- Palm Beach County Bar Professionalism Committee, Vice Chair (2008, 2009)
- Southern District of Florida Criminal Justice Act Panel
- Southern District of Florida Bench/Bar Conference Planning Committee
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Commissioner, Palm Beach County Commission on Ethics (2010-2012)
Yates Memo creates additional compliance risk for labs and their executives
Federal clemency grants focus on crack cases and mandatory minimums
False Claims Act "Implied Certification" theory to be clarified by Supreme Court
Reasonable interpretation of undefined term results in zero FCA liability for Florida exporter
Truthful off-label marketing protected as free-speech
Physicians beware: OIG scrutinizes medical director relationships
New Risks for Investors and Business Owners in Legal Marijuana Sector
Overcriminalization, Gideon, Fish and Facebook
Fourth Amendment Does Not Block Government From Finding Out Where Your Cell Phone Has Been
Prosecution Strikes Out: Barry Bonds Goes Free
One more reason to file taxes on time: Late return may not be dischargeable in bankruptcy
For whom does the False Claims Act toll?
$13 billion medical device merger on hold? Why FCPA compliance programs are a good investment
Tipping point: Federal court narrows insider trading liability
HHS offers free downloadable HIPAA risk assessment tool
McDonald Hopkins joins pro bono Clemency Project 2014
Who you gonna call? Reporting a criminal data breach
No deductions for you: The federal tax implications for a "legal" marijuana business
The “legal marijuana business” is a smoke screen
FDA Issues Compounding Pharmacy Guidance
Good news for inmates and taxpayers
Federal Court Invalidates Florida Law Requiring HIPAA Waiver As Pre-Condition for Med Mal Suit
Reefer Madness: Despite state legislation of medical marijuana, businesses risk criminal, civil and regulatory sanctions
The Feds Aren't Messing Around. Franchises seized and owners arrested for employing illegal workers.
Ohio federal court rules Verizon may have violated Stored Communications Act
Protect Your Identity and Your Benefits From New Risks Created By Social Security Administration Online Account System
OIG issues updated advisory- Are you hiring excluded people?
Legislation introduced to update the Electronic Communications Act
$5 Billion recovered under the False Claims Act
McDonald Hopkins pro bono client receives Presidential clemency
"Wanted by US: The Stolen Millions of Despots and Crooked Elites"
"Addiction treatment bonanza: How urine tests rake in millions"
"Walter | Haverfield attorney building a budding business in pot law" Bruce Reinhart quoted in Crain's Cleveland Business
"Possible probe of Hillary Clinton emails" Bruce Reinhart for Newsmax Prime
Five McDonald Hopkins attorneys honored as top attorneys in Florida
"Christian Berg and Bruce Reinhart," NewsMax TV | MidPoint
America's Forum--Bruce Reinhart interviewed on Newsmax TV
"America's Forum," Bruce Reinhart Interviewed on Newsmax TV
McDonald Hopkins issues special report on “legal marijuana business”
"America's Forum," Bruce Reinhart interviewed for Newsmax TV
- "Up in Smoke or Down in Flames? A Florida Lawyer’s Legal and Ethical Risks in Advising a Marijuana Industry Client," The Florida Bar Journal, March 2016
- "OIG Issues Updated Advisory: Are You Hiring Excluded People?" RBMA Monthly Legal Update Digest, June 2013
- "How investing in compliance programs can mitigate risk," Smart Business Magazine, July 2012
- "How to Protect Your Lab from Costly and Time-Consuming Government Investigations and Qui Tam Lawsuits--and What to Do If the Government Does Come Calling," Pathology Blawg webinar, June 25, 2015.
- Panelist, Federal Bar Association, South Florida Chapter Securities Litigation Seminar, March 2015.
- "Navigating Through the Changes in the Medical Industry," Hilton Garden Inn, October 8, 2013.
- Co-moderator for the panel on Health Care Fraud at the Southern District of Florida Bench Bar Conference on April 27, 2012.
- "Ethical Considerations in Public Sector Law," ABA Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division Meeting, November 4, 2011.
- "Hot Topics in Legal Ethics," Master Seminar on Ethics, 2011 Florida Bar Annual Convention, June 24, 2011.
- "Where Do We Go From Here? Public Corruption and Honest Services Post-Skilling," Florida Bar Government Lawyers Section, September 21, 2010.
- "Securities Litigation 2010 - Criminal, Civil, Regulatory and Ethics. Now What Do We Have To Worry About?" Palm Beach County Bar, April 28, 2010.
- Honest Services and Public Integrity Workshop, Florida Association of Counties Annual Convention, June 2009.
- Honest Services and Public Integrity Workshop and Discussion, Palm Beach County Tax Collector, March 2009.
- Criminal Law Practitioners' Ethical Duties seminar, Palm Beach County Bar, May 2008.