Carl became firm chairman in 2016 after serving as firm president for nine years. He is corporate counsel and business advisor to a number of middle-market and growth companies. Carl has extensive experience assisting clients in areas of complex mergers and acquisitions, choice of entity planning, business succession planning, financing and structuring ESOPs, executive compensation and tax planning, creation of family limited partnerships, formation and use of limited liability companies, and IRS controversies.
Carl authors the Small Business “Tax Tips” column for Crain’s Cleveland Business and has written other articles for national publications. He frequently speaks on business planning related topics for business owners, accountants and lawyers.
Carl earned a J.D. from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 1984. He received a B.S.B.A. from John Carroll University in 1981.
- Certified Public Accountant
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- John Carroll University
Honors and Awards
- Named one of Crain's Cleveland's Who's Who in Northeast Ohio (2017)
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America (2011-2018)
- "AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- International Lawyers Network
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Public Service and Volunteerism
- The 50 Club of Cleveland
- American ORT, Cleveland Chapter (Past Director)
- BVU | The Center for Nonprofit Excellence (Past Board Member)
- Easter Seals of Northeast Ohio (Past Board Member)
- Greater Cleveland Film Commission (Past Board Member)
- Greater Cleveland Sports Commission (Chairman)
- Greater Cleveland Western Region United Way Campaign (Co-Chair 2009 and 2010)
- Lake Erie College (Past Board Chair)
- Leadership Lake County (Class of 1998)
- Mace Security International (Board Member)
- Regional Brands Inc. (Chairman of the Board)
"TAX TIPS: New appeal process could have implications with upcoming tax reappraisals"
35 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2018
'Church plans' get some relief thanks to a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision"
"Who's Who in Northeast 2017"
"ASPIRE 2017 – Entrepreneurial pathways"
"Is there still a role for S Corps? Most definitely."
"TAX TIPS: Benefits to charitable giving could change in coming years"
"TAX TIPS: Accelerate succession planning before changes to valuation discounting"
39 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers 2017
"TAX TIPS: New rules affect tax partnerships"
"TAX TIPS: Tax relief may be on the way for property owners"
"TAX TIPS: Changes are coming to IRS partnership audits"
"TAX TIPS: Treasury could curtail discounting practices"
"TAX TIPS: Shareholders can be liable for unpaid taxes"
"TAX TIPS: Dividends are a key planning item"
"TAX TIPS: If you want credit, act quickly"
"Columbus leadership consulting firm brings strategic vision into focus for Northeast Ohio executives"
"TAX TIPS: Goodwill transfer can be part of succession plan"
2015 Business Outlook: Confidence in U.S. business conditions continues to improve
"Greater Cleveland Sports Commission has 'new blood,' same vision"
"TAX TIPS: Trust ownership can raise issues"
"TAX TIPS: 'Material participation' can be tough to prove"