Christal is a member and a co-chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. Her practice is also focused on representing physician practice groups, medical laboratories, search funds and both strategic buyers and sellers in various types of transactions, including complex mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, leveraged buyouts, distressed acquisitions and dispositions, financings, and investments. Christal also provides general corporate counseling to a variety of middle market businesses, business owners, boards of directors, management teams and investors on matters relating to corporate governance, commercial contracts, compliance and operational issues. Her industry experience covers a wide array of industries such as healthcare, quick-service and full-service franchise restaurants, polymers and manufacturing. Christal has also served in an in-house counsel capacity for a pathology laboratory, a software service provider, a polymer manufacturer and an international manufacturer and distributor of household and commercial products.
Middle Market Representative Matters:
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a manufacturing and commercial sales of scales and dimensioning systems business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a specialty chemicals business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a lawn maintenance and pest control business.
- Represented a private equity search fund in the acquisition of a software as a service business.
- Represented a private equity search fund in the acquisition of an ambulatory services business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the disposition of an analytics and channel customer engagement firm.
- Represented multi-national inks and coatings manufacturer in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a large U.S. based inks and coatings manufacturer for $100 million.
- Represented Quaker Steak and Lube, owner, operator and franchisor of over 65 casual dining restaurants, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a strategic public company buyer pursuant to a §363 sale out of bankruptcy.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to a private equity backed company as part of an add-on acquisition.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to current management.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to a publicly traded multinational company.
- Represented selling company in sale of assets to private equity fund as part of a roll-up of companies.
- Represented franchisee in the disposition of multiple restaurants in four states.
- Represented buyers and sellers in asset sales, stock sales, and mergers.
- Represented buyers and sellers in §363 and Article 9 transactions.
Healthcare Representative Matters:
- Represented physician owned medical laboratory in the sale to a private equity fund that will serve as the original platform company for future add-on acquisitions.
- Represented a substance abuse and drug rehabilitation center in its sale of stock to a public healthcare company.
- Represented large regional medical laboratory in sale of assets to a publicly-traded laboratory company.
- Represented healthcare technology company in debt/equity financing transaction.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in partial sale/strategic alliance transaction.
- Represented dental practice in sale of assets to a strategic purchaser.
- Represented individual radiologists in the sale of a multi-national radiology practice to a private-equity backed platform company.
- Represented numerous pathologist-owned medical laboratories involved in merger, acquisition and joint venture activities.
- Represented clients in the formation and operation of joint ventures in the healthcare industry.
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Ashland University
Honors and Awards
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Notable Women in Law (2018)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Dobama Theatre (Board of Directors)
"Bargain shopping: navigating the purchase of a distressed business"
McDonald Hopkins holds event on exit strategies for company founders
MH Business Exchange Episode 2 informs owners how to prepare business for a sale
Contini, Sullivan named co-chairs at McDonald Hopkins
DCI Design Communications acquires EthoStream
McDonald Hopkins elects four Members
- "Don't let due diligence deflect from the deal of a lifetime," Crain's Cleveland Business, January 19, 2018
- "Materiality scrape' can be more than a minor cut," Crain's Cleveland Business, January 14, 2017
- "Considering a Sale of Your Business? Be Familiar with the Concept of an Earnout," RBMA Monthly Legal Update Digest August 2011
- Navigating your growth as a female executive | Tuesday, June 11, 2019
- AHLA Healthcare Transactions | Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Executive War College 2018 Conference on Laboratory & Pathology Management | Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- The founder's exit strategy: From beginning to end | Thursday, February 22, 2018
- "Business and Clinical Strategies for Anatomic Pathology Groups and Pathology Labs: Weighing the Options of Capital Infusion, Acquisition, Sale, or Merger", Christal Contini, Chair; Panel: Tom Rehwald, Michael Cohen, John Reiboldt, Al Sirmon, Executive War College, May 1, 2018