Dana R. White
Dana R. White is a member in McDonald Hopkins' Real Estate Practice Group where her practice includes a broad spectrum of commercial real estate disciplines with a particular focus on industrial, office, multifamily, luxury residential and retail development. She represents real estate developers, investors and owner/operators in real estate acquisitions and dispositions, construction and development, entity formation, and joint ventures. She represents landlords and tenants nationally in negotiating office, retail/restaurant and industrial leases. She also represents lenders and borrowers in connection with real estate construction, development and acquisition loans and other secured financing. Additionally, Dana advises clients in connection with federal, state and local tax incentive programs, including historic tax credit transactions and §1031 like-kind exchanges. Dana also provides commercial real estate and general corporate counseling for real estate owner/operators, developers and investors.
Dana received her B.A. in English from Indiana University in 2004. She earned her J.D., cum laude, from Loyola University Chicago School of Law in 2010. Prior to law school, she worked for several years at a Philadelphia-based civil engineering firm specializing in transportation, where her work focused on complex proposal coordination and submission for privately funded projects as well as those funded at the local, state and federal levels.
- Represented sponsor/developer in adaptive re-use of the 16-story Insurance Center Building into 132 apartments, 3 floors of office, and ground floor retail, including the negotiation of governing documents (partnership agreements, LLC operating agreements, etc.), construction financing and historical tax credit incentives.
- Represented sponsor/developer in the acquisition and development of a 109 unit multi-family project located in Chicago’s Bucktown neighborhood, including negotiating joint venture agreements with private equity partners and a $26,200,000 construction loan.
- Represented sponsor/developer in formation of crowdfunded real estate investment fund, including drafting and negotiating private placement documents, partnership agreements and subscription agreements.
- Represented borrower in acquisition and financing of a large warehouse facility in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represented developer in adaptive re-use of the 16-story Insurance Center Building into 132 apartments, 3 floors of office, and ground floor retail, including the negotiation of a joint venture agreement, construction financing and historical tax credit incentives.
- Represented developer in development of a seventy-nine unit, luxury condominium project in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood, including acquisition, zoning, construction, condominiumization, and disposition of units.
- Represented developer in the acquisition, development and sale of a five-unit luxury townhome development in Naples, Florida.
- Represented owner/operator in the relocation of its manufacturing company through the acquisition of a 101,463 square foot industrial facility and divestiture of two existing facilities through a reverse §1031 like-kind exchange.
- Represented Illinois’ largest wine and spirits distributor in the acquisition and redevelopment of a 36-acre site into a 605,000 square foot office, warehouse, and distribution facility, including negotiating pre-acquisition site construction and utilizing local and state tax incentives to help fund this $85 million project.
Admissions - State
Honors and Awards
- Women in Commercial Real Estate, Illinois Real Estate Journal, 2013-2018
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association
- Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Leadership Oakland, Member of Class XXX of the Cornerstone Program
- Business interruption insurance claims: A potential source of funds for landlords and tenants
- CARES Act tax issues for real estate
- Eviction and foreclosure moratoriums
- Fed provides lifeline with Main Street Loans for landlords
- CARES Act: An early analysis of the historic Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act
- Oakland County issues new health order for screening employees and maintaining social distancing at essential businesses
- Michigan stay home, stay safe order in effect - now what?
- Michigan non-essential businesses forced to close through April 13