Liz is a co-chair of the firm’s National Healthcare Practice. She began her legal career as an associate in the Healthcare Practice group and recently returned to McDonald Hopkins. Liz served as associate counsel for The Cleveland Clinic Foundation for four years providing regulatory advice and transactional guidance to various service lines, including the clinical laboratory, professional pathology, imaging, transplant, and remote and distance health teams.
During her career, Liz has assisted clinical laboratories, hospitals, physician specialty groups, telehealth providers, transplant centers, surgery centers, healthcare associations, pharmacies, and other healthcare providers on regulatory, licensing, compliance, reimbursement, contractual, and corporate matters. She has provided support to entities during licensure and accreditation surveys and assisted in navigating state professional licensure laws, CLIA standards and state laboratory laws, government and private payor reimbursement, fraud and abuse rules, state telehealth laws, HIPAA rules and regulations, and state and federal pharmacy regulation.
Elizabeth earned a J.D. and Certificate of Advanced Studies in Health Law from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, an M.A. in Bioethics and a B.A., cum laude, in Political Science from Case Western Reserve University.
Admissions - State
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Case Western Reserve University
Honors and Awards
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Notable Women in Law (2018)
- Easterseals of Northern Ohio, Board Member
UPDATE: Texas District Court issues preliminary injunction preventing CMS from recouping overpayments until an ALJ has heard and rendered a decision
Texas District Court issues temporary injunction preventing CMS from recouping overpayments
Federal and commercial payor medical record requests are important – Don’t dismiss them!
Medicare claims for outpatient physical therapy services often fail to comply with requirements
CMS finalizes coverage for Next Generation Sequencing tests for patients with advanced cancer
2018 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Ohio
New OIG report recommends Medicare contractors recover more than $66M in improper payments
CMS’s Targeted Probe and Educate (“TPE”) Program – Get Counsel Involved Early!
UPDATE: Labs may rely on ordering physician’s determination that a test is medically necessary
New Ohio opioid prescription limits for acute pain take effect tomorrow
Labs have independent duty to certify tests billed to Medicare are medically necessary
FDA approves first digital pathology system for primary diagnosis
College of American Pathologists to develop Pathologist Quality Registry
What health care providers need to know about the American Health Care Act
2017 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Ohio
Liz Sullivan Named Notable Women in Healthcare 2018
MH Business Exchange Episode 12 helps healthcare providers prepare and avoid payor audits
Contini, Sullivan named co-chairs at McDonald Hopkins
"Marijuana In Patient Care – Nine Model Guidelines From The Federation of State Medical Boards"
"GOP Efforts to Repeal and Replace the Affordable Care Act - What Can Healthcare Providers Anticipate Moving Forward?"
Healthcare Attorney Elizabeth Sullivan Joins the Cleveland Office of McDonald Hopkins
- Coauthor, “The American Health Care Act (AHCA), GOP Efforts to Repeal and Replace the Affordable Care Act – What Can Healthcare Providers Anticipate Moving Forward?”, The Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio, May/June 2017
- "Legal Considerations for Pathology and Laboratory Providers”, American Society for Clinical Pathology, Lab Medicine Podcast Series, March 1, 2017
- "Patient Privacy Breach Attracts National News Coverage," The Dark Report, December 19, 2016
- Co-presenter, “HIPAA Update for the Pathology Practice”, American Pathology Foundation Webinars, November 1, 2018
- Co-presenter, “Defending Against Payor Audits – Record Requests Through the Appeals Process”, G2 Intelligence - Lab Compliance Essentials 2018, Chicago, Illinois, June 8, 2018
- “Another Year of Legislative and Regulatory Uncertainty?”, American Pathology Foundation Coding & Practice Management, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 16, 2018
- Copresenter, "Clinical Laboratories and Payer Scrutiny: Increased Audits, Recoupment Actions, Litigation," Strafford Webinar, February 7, 2018
- “The Lawyer's Perspective on the Molecular/Genetic Testing Landscape: Priority Issues Involving Managed Care Contracting, Payor Audits, Compliance, Sales Practices, and Fraudulent Marketing Schemes”, The Executive War College, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 4, 2017
- "The First 100 Days of the New Administration: What We Know and What We Don't", American Pathology Foundation Coding & Practice Management, Atlanta, Georgia, March 27, 2017
- Copresenter, "Pathology Compliance: Strategies for Success in 2017", American Pathology Foundation Coding & Practice Management, Atlanta, Georgia, March 27, 2017
- "Compliance Considerations for Clinical Laboratories”, Cardinal Health Lab Briefings Webinar Series, January 25, 2017
- Copresenter, “Preparing For 2017's Tougher Lab Regulations and New Legal Issues: What Every Lab and Pathology Group Needs to Know to Protect Revenue and Stay Compliant”, The Dark Report Webinar, October 12, 2016