Ilirjan is the chair of the Securities Practice Group. He has significant experience in securities, M&A and general corporate transactions. Ilirjan counsels directors and shareholders of public companies on a regular basis on their beneficial reporting requirements and Rule 144 compliance issues. He has represented public and private companies operating in a spectrum of industries related to negotiating and drafting M&A transaction documents and offering documents; negotiating and drafting general corporate agreements; drafting and filing 1933 Act and 1934 Act filings for public companies; and counseled clients on compliance issues raised by the SEC rules adopted as a result of Dodd-Frank and the JOBS Act.
Fluent in Albanian, Ilirjan received his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law, M.B.A. from Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management and his B.A. from Baldwin Wallace University. Prior to receiving his J.D. and M.B.A., Ilirjan completed an externship for the Honorable Judge Edmund A. Sargus, U.S. District Judge, Southern District of Ohio.
- Represented online compliance training leader Workplace Answers in its sale to EVERFI, Inc., the nation’s leading education technology innovator.
- Represented client, a leading provider of AML/BSA solutions to financial institutions, in the sale of the company for $125M.
- Represented buyer in purchase of assets of a manufacturer of custom architectural woodworking for public and commercial buildings, including hospitals, schools, banks, retail stores, restaurants and hotels.
- Counseled significant shareholder of public company on beneficial reporting requirements and sale of over $3M of public company stock in compliance with Rule 144.
- Represented management of a company engaged in selling commercial lift trucks in purchasing controlling interest of such company from existing shareholders.
- Represented client in purchasing assets of company engaged in manufacturing and distributing products for the garage door industry for $13.5M.
- Represented client in $15M sale of company engaged in the business of selling marketing leads including names, phone numbers, home addresses, and/or email addresses, to service providers in the real estate, home and garden, and insurance industries.
- Represented client in forming a $50M real estate investment fund and setting up the management structure of the fund.
- Represented a technology company in acquiring a new operating subsidiary for $10M.
- Represented one of the largest mail carriers in the world in conducting an internal survey of its employees regarding the company’s compliance with laws in various areas.
- Represented public and private companies in completing reverse and forward stock splits.
- Represented public utility company in 1934 Act filings and a series of primary and secondary public offerings including (1) a public, secondary offering of 800,000 shares of common stock by a major shareholder, (2) a public, secondary offering of 1M shares of common stock by its CEO and CFO; and (3) a primary, public offering of 1.725M of newly issued common stock.
- Played key role in the representation of a public utility company in a $10M acquisition of a gas marketing company and adoption of rights agreement (poison pill) to ward off future advances of hostile acquirers.
- Represented minority shareholders in an effort to acquire controlling interest in publicly-traded company and control of the board.
- Represented private equity firm in a $25M acquisition of a battery manufacturer and the $22M sale of a portfolio company engaged in the sale of various medical products; represented same client in $50M private placement.
- Assisted in the representation of a closely-held corporation engaged in the business of providing surgical instruments to hospitals in the $70M sale of the company.
- Represented company operating in the nickel industry in the $10 million redemption of the ownership interest held by one of its members.
Admissions - State
- Baldwin Wallace College
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Management
New reporting requirements applicable to investment advisors
Representation and warranty insurance 101
How to avoid general solicitation in a Rule 506(b) private offering of securities
Summary of the annual updates to the ISS and Glass Lewis proxy voting guidelines
Raising capital through interstate crowdfunding: 9 questions and answers
- "Whole Foods Activist Shareholder Rings in New Year with a Win" – Co-Author, NYSE Governance Services' Insights newsletter (February 2015)
- "Winning Wisdom Garnered from the Cavs for Corporate Buyers" – Co-Author, Crain's Cleveland Business (January 2015)