Isabelle is an associate in our Healthcare Practice Group. She has experience in multiple facets of healthcare law, such as assisting healthcare providers in navigating the complexities of regulations, analyzing physician/hospital integration models for compliance with the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA issues, Medicare/Medicaid compliance issues, medical staff issues, mid-level provider regulations and telemedicine. In addition, she negotiates and drafts a variety of documents including hospital medical staff bylaws, employment agreements, personal service agreements, medical directorship agreements, release agreements, lease agreements, operating agreements, code of regulations, and policies.
Isabelle came to McDonald Hopkins after three years at Brouse McDowell. Earlier, she worked as a legal intern at a large multi-county health system and a local hospital.
In the area of immigration law, Isabelle has expertise in employment-based immigration for medical professionals, scientists, engineers, business executives, and researchers in the areas of healthcare, biotech, education, retail, and manufacturing. She represents hospitals, universities, small and large manufacturers, large retailers, and individuals in a variety of immigration matters, such as H-1B and H-4 visas, L-1A, L-1B, and L-2 visas, O-1 visas, J-1 visa waivers, green card petitions, U.S. citizenship applications, etc. A first generation immigrant herself, she strives to address her foreign national clients’ concerns proactively and coaches them through the entire immigration process.
Isabelle is passionate about business and the law. Fluent in French, her native language, Isabelle has more than 20 years of international business experience in the healthcare, aerospace and plastics industries. She served as a senior sales representative in cardiology and neurology for a global pharmaceutical company where she conducted sales, strategic business planning and training. She also served as General Manager of the public transportation division and international account executive for a global manufacturer of custom, specialty laminates and coated films for train and aircraft interiors in Paris, France.
She earned her J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Akron School of Law in 2012, an MBA. from Kent State University in 1998, and a B.B.A. in finance, summa cum laude, from Temple University in 1991.
Admissions - State
- University of Akron School of Law
- Kent State University
- Temple University
Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Pro Bono Award sponsored by the law firm of Perantinides and Nolan for most completed community service & pro bono hours of all University of Akron graduating part-time students — July 2013
- Recipient of the Honorable Arthur J. Goldberg Memorial Prize in Constitutional Law
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2017)
- Named in Crain's Cleveland "Five to Watch in Law" (2017)
- Academy of Medicine of Cleveland & Northern Ohio (AMCNO)
- Akron Bar Association/Labor & Employment Section, Secretary and Treasurer (2015-2016)
- Akron Bar Association Hospice Committee, Volunteer Attorney (2013-2017)
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member
- Ohio Hospital Association, Member
- Ohio Health Care Association, Member
- Leading Age, Member
- Medical Legal Liaison Committee Member (2016 - Present)
- The University of Akron Black Law Students Association, Alumni Member
- Greater Cleveland International Lawyers Group
New Ohio opioid prescription limits for acute pain take effect tomorrow
2017 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Illinois
2017 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Michigan
2017 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Florida
Guidance regarding the new I-9 form released
2017 update on maximum charges for copies of medical records in Ohio
Final rule allows more sharing of substance abuse treatment information
Chronic care management: Medicare increases payment and relaxes standards
CMS expands Medicare payment for behavioral health services
Reminder to health care providers: Are your ACA Section 1557 notices and taglines up?
International Entrepreneur Final Rule delayed until March 2018
Employing foreign physicians and researchers during the Trump years
The impact of "Buy American and Hire American" Executive Order No. 13788
Executive Order: "Protecting The Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States"
10 key points from new DHS memorandum on immigration enforcement
Travel ban update: Hearing today on immigration temporary restraining order
Immigration: Trump executive order directly affects US healthcare and all tech-related industries
2018 green card lottery now open!
"Marijuana In Patient Care – Nine Model Guidelines From The Federation of State Medical Boards"
"A Cybersecurity Update and Resource Guide for Healthcare Organizations"
"GOP Efforts to Repeal and Replace the Affordable Care Act - What Can Healthcare Providers Anticipate Moving Forward?"
"Recent Trends in Physician Compensation and Contracts"
"Five to watch in law"
"At the Dawn of Immigration Reform: Compliance Pitfalls to Avoid in Employing Foreign Nationals in Health Care Settings"
"Recruiting and Employing Foreign Nationals in Health Care Settings, Key Issues and Best Practices"
Healthcare attorney Isabelle Bibet-Kalinyak joins the Cleveland office of McDonald Hopkins
- "A Cybersecurity Update and Resource Guide for Healthcare Organizations," AMCNO Northern Ohio Physician (July/August 2017)
- "CMS Expands Medicare Payment for Chronic Care Management and Behavioral Health Care Services," Physician Organizations (May 2017)
- "Indemnification provisions - Before you sign a contract, take time to understand indemnification clauses," Smart Business News Magazine (June 2016)
- "Health Care Legislature Update: Winds of Change Impact Mid-Level Providers," Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal (March 2016)
- "Medicare Enrollment Form 855I Fails to List Critical and Ambiguous Medicare Provider Reporting Requirement - A Cautionary Tale," American Health Lawyers Association (May 2, 2016)
- "S.B. 110, New Rules for Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners, Effective 10/15/2015," MD News Magazine (November/December 2015)
- "Hospital Patient Status, 'Two-Midnight' is the Rule," co-author with J. Ryan Williams, Northern Ohio Physician (July/August 2015)
- "Avoid the pitfalls - Why template employment contracts don't work with foreign nationals," Smart Business News Magazine (June 2015)
- “Worldwide Visa System Glitch Affects ALL U.S. Embassies and Consulates!” (June 19, 2015)
- "Healthcare Providers, Beware of New OARRS Requirements!" MD News Magazine (May/June 2015)
- "Immigration information - How employers can boost success rates when hiring foreign workers," Smart Business News Magazine (March 2015)
- "Visa Bulletin March 2015, A Little Bit of Sunshine," (March 13, 2015)
- "Practical Considerations for Employers in Selecting Non-Physician Providers," MD News Magazine (July/August 2013)
- "Countdown to Enforcement! Are you HIPAA-ready," (August 12, 2013)
- "A Critical Analysis of Sorrell vs. IMS Health, Inc.: Pandora's Box at Best, 67 Food & Drug L.J. 191 (2012) - Food and Drug Law Journal" (August 2012)
- 2017 LeadingAge Ohio Annual Conference: Stronger Together! | Wednesday, September 13, 2017
- AHLA Annual Meeting | Monday, June 26, 2017
- Managing Risk in Employing Foreign Nationals – At the Crossroads of Health Care, Labor & Employment, and Immigration. | Friday, March 31, 2017
- Health Care Law Update and Medical/Legal Summit 2017 | Friday, March 24, 2017
- LeadingAge Ohio Annual Conference and Tradeshow | Friday, September 9, 2016
- Reviewing and Negotiating a Physician Employment Agreement - Legal and Other Issues, Cleveland Clinic Foundation Cardiology Department, August 24, 2017
- American Health Lawyers Association National Conference 2016, June 27, 2016, Denver, Colorado, “Immigration Options and Strategies to Optimize Compliance, Recruiting, and Retention,” co-presenter with Mary T. Link, Vice President and General Counsel, Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron
- International Manufacturer, Presentation, “Immigration Primer for Non-Lawyers,” Nov. 18, 2015
- EMS Services, Ohio, March 18, 2015, Presentation, “HIPAA Compliance and Training for Emergency Responders”
- Summa Health System, March 13, 2015, Presentation, “The ABCs of Physician Employment Agreements.”
- Leading Age Ohio, Annual Conference, August 25, 2014, Columbus, Ohio, Presentation, “Workers’ Compensation & Labor and Employment – Ohio Law Update”
- American Osteopathic Association, June 17, 2014, Webinar, “The Affordable Care Act, Nuts and Bolts for Health Care Providers, 2014”