Jason is experienced in complex litigation matters in the areas of construction, general business, and oil and gas. Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Jason worked at Welin, O’Shaughnessy + Scheaf LLC, a Columbus-based boutique law firm specializing in construction law, complex business litigation and oil and gas litigation. Earlier, Jason practiced law at one of the largest law firms in the country, where he focused on construction and general business litigation. Prior to entering the legal profession, Jason gained experience in the construction industry as a project engineer for a mechanical contractor and a project lead for an MEP design engineering firm.
Jason earned a J.D., magna cum laude, from Capital University Law School in 2008. He received a B.S. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2002.
- Secured a directed verdict in defense of claims by a subcontractor against a general contractor on a central Ohio public school project.
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of contractor-client to a judgment in excess of $1,000,000 and secured affirmance of that judgment on appeal.
- Successfully represented a sewer line contractor with significant claims against a public utility in northeastern Ohio involving the installation of a deep sewer in a populated area with multiple utility conflicts and challenging soil conditions while utilizing horizontal directional drilling methods.
- Successfully defended an award of a public software development contract against a constitution-based bid protest by a disappointed bidder.
- Successfully prosecuted claims on behalf of a general contractor against a shopping center developer.
- Secured summary judgment in favor of general contractor against mechanic’s lien and payment bond claims by subcontractor’s material supplier.
- Successfully represented contractor-client against material supplier's claims, which included an award of attorney's fees against the material supplier.
- Successfully represented an Ohio university in claims against design professionals regarding negligent design of the HVAC systems of residence halls.
- Successfully defended one of the nation's largest financial institutions against claims of improper lending activities.
- Represents clients in relation to prevailing-wage compliance, complaints, and litigation.
- Represents clients, including developers and contractors, in drafting construction contracts, and in claim avoidance and/or preservation during the course of projects.
- Represents clients on bid disputes on public construction projects.
- Represents contractors with claims on federal procurement contracts before various Boards of Contract Appeals.
Admissions - Court
- Ohio State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Capital University Law School
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2014-2018)
- CALI Awards—Torts, Business Associations, Real
Estate Finance, Libertarianism and the Law, Legal Drafting, Patent Law
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors of Ohio
- Ohio Contractors Association
- Builders Exchange of Central Ohio
Ohio Department of Transportation advisory to all prime contractors
Update on Ohio’s construction statute of repose application to tort and contract claims
Appellate court rejects argument that contractor waived claim by failing to comply with Article 8 notice requirements
OSHA stepping up enforcement of silica in construction standard
Ohio House introduces bill to protect general contractors
Victory for construction contractors: Ohio Supreme Court rules that construction statute of repose applies to both tort and contract actions
Appellate court holds Ohio’s construction statute of repose applies to breach of contract and tort claims
OSHA Update: Record keeping and required postings
Ohio Supreme Court holds that general contractor’s insurance policy does not cover defective work performed by subcontractors
OSHA increases excavation and trenching enforcement
Construction trade organizations file brief in Ohio Supreme Court on statute of repose
Ohio EPA issues new construction storm water general permit
Ohio contractors: Ensure compliance with public bidding and contracting laws or risk not being paid
Ohio’s construction statute of repose still only applies to tort claims
Enforcement of OSHA's silica in construction standard begins under interim enforcement memorandum
OSHA’s new silica safety standard imposes additional burdens on contractors
Proposed accounting rule could have unintended consequences for construction companies
What is covered under a contractor’s CGL policy?
Ohio Supreme Court Ruling simplifies contract drafting, negotiation, and enforcement
Recommendations for proper back charges on commercial construction projects
Fifth District publishes new interpretation of Ohio's construction statute of repose
Public owners are not immune from liability for failure to pay mechanic’s liens
Facing increased construction costs, Trump administration considers options to fund infrastructure projects
Mechanic’s lien update: What is waived and what can you recover?
Trump eyes public-private partnerships as future of infrastructure projects
Trump’s $1 trillion infrastructure plan and how to pay for it
These 2 words will simplify contract drafting, negotiation, and enforcement
22 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
"The 2017 Revisions to AIA Standard Construction Contracts"
Four attorneys elected as members at McDonald Hopkins
"Bidding On Medical Building and Hospital Jobs"
24 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
McDonald Hopkins moves to a new home in the Arena District
26 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Contributing author of the Baldwin’s Ohio Construction Law Manual, WEST/Thomson Reuters, February 2009
- Contributing author of State-By-State Guide To Design And Construction Contracts And Claims
(2d Edition), Wolters Kluwer
- Guns, Drugs & Cybercriminals – Avoiding Modern Risks | Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Charting the Course and Navigating Through Treacherous Waters | Tuesday, March 3, 2020
- Contractors at risk: What’s next after Ohio Supreme Court decision on insurance coverage for defective work | Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- National Business Institute, Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z, 2013
- National Business Institute, Civil Trial: Everything you need to know, 2017
- Builder's Exchange of Central Ohio, Executive Leadership Experience, 2015-2019
- AGC Ohio Annual Convention, 2018-2019