Connect with Joelle
- Connect on LinkedIn
Joelle Dvir is an associate in McDonald Hopkins' national Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Group.
She advises organizations on data privacy and cybersecurity risks on the national and international levels, including proactive compliance with state and federal data breach notification laws and incident response strategies and management. She works with clients to implement best practices, including policy development and workplace training. Joelle has counseled clients through hundreds of data breaches and privacy incidents, working closely with forensic investigators, third party vendors, and local, state and federal law enforcement, while minimizing exposure to her clients. Her work in the data privacy and cybersecurity area covers a multitude of industries, including higher education, healthcare, maritime, accounting, financial services, non-profits, real estate, financial services, banking, law, municipalities, public entities and insurance. Joelle is part of the team that was named a finalist for Advisen’s 2018 Cyber Law Firm of the Year.
Joelle also has significant litigation experience, primarily focused on commercial, business, and data privacy matters. She is experienced in all phases of litigation, including pretrial, mediation, trial and post-judgment proceedings. She has also drafted numerous appeals.
Before joining McDonald Hopkins in 2017, Joelle was an associate at Cohen | Ruiz. Joelle earned a J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law in 2013, where she served as executive editor of the Alabama Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Law Review. She received a B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, in Political Science and Jewish Studies (double major) from the University of Florida in 2009. She is conversational in Hebrew.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Admissions - State
- University of Alabama School of Law
- University of Florida
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Dade County Bar Association
- Florida Bar
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation, South Dade Board (2016 – Present)
- Bet Shira Congregation, Executive Board of Directors, Vice President of Programming (2018 – Present)
- The Women’s Fund Miami-Dade, Raise the Bar Planning Committee (2018 – Present)
California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018: What you need to know
5 California Consumer Privacy Act amendments signed into law
5 possible amendments to the California Consumer Privacy Act
New data privacy laws continue to change the landscape for compliance
Think twice before giving your Social Security number to your doctor
Plaintiffs face uphill battle in revived data breach lawsuit against Barnes & Noble
Risk of future identity theft may be sufficient to confer standing in data breach litigation
More data breaches mean more changes to data breach notification laws in 2018
- What Does Fake News Have to Do With Cybersecurity? | Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Vessel Cybersecurity and Data Privacy | Wednesday, November 6, 2019
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA): Are you ready? | Tuesday, October 29, 2019
- "Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Compliance - The Tipping Point,” Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) South Florida, August 22, 2019
- “Maritime Cybersecurity and Best Practices,” Fort Lauderdale Mariner's Club, August 1, 2019
- “Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Compliance and Best Practices for Real Estate Attorneys,” Attorneys’ Real Estate Councils of Florida, Inc., Miami-Dade Attorneys Real Estate Council, July 21, 2019