Karina R. Conley
Karina is an associate in the firm’s Labor and Employment and Litigation Practice Groups. Karina’s experience includes representing employers in a variety of labor and employment and workplace injury matters, including but not limited to claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, issues involving the Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, National Labor Relations Act and both federal and state wage and hour statutes. She has been involved in defending matters in both state and federal court and before the EEOC, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, Department of Labor, and other administrative bodies. Karina also regularly advises employers on issues involving employment law compliance and policy development.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Karina was an associate at a national employment law firm.
Karina earned a J.D., Order of the Coif, from West Virginia University College of Law in 2011 and a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice & Psychology, summa cum laude, from Glenville State College in 2008.
- Second chair at trial resulting in judgment as a matter of law in favor of the defendant corporation.
- Obtained injunctive relief and reinstatement of high school student athlete denied eligibility by WVSSAC.
- Successfully represented employers in numerous charges of discrimination before the EEOC and state agencies.
Admissions - Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
Admissions - State
- West Virginia
- West Virginia University College of Law
- Glenville State College
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2018-2021)
- Glenville State College, Young Alumna of the Year (2014)
- American Inns of Court
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Chair, Labor and Employment Law Committee 2014
- Women in Energy Network
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio’s new Health Order addresses mask order for retailers
- Ohio Governor issues revised mask mandate, social gathering order and reemphasizes prevention protocols
- New OSHA guidance provides roadmap for COVID-19 safety measures
- Good for business: Ohio enacts law limiting liability for COVID-19 lawsuits
- Preventing and defending employee retaliation claims
- 10 things employers should know or do related to the threat of workplace violence
- 5 considerations for employer layoffs/reductions in force
- Workplace violence: 10 things employers need to know or do
- Employment Law Q&A: Should I require my employees to sign arbitration agreements?
- Employment Law Q&A: May I monitor an employee’s emails and internet usage?
- 4 tips for handling employee call-offs
- New tax law has twist for employers settling harassment claims
- 15 McDonald Hopkins attorneys selected to 2021 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars list
- Seventeen attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 22 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Labor and employment attorney Karina Kendrick joins the Cleveland office of McDonald Hopkins
- “The Tipping Point: The Problem of Prison Overcrowding Nationally, in the State of West Virginia and Recommendations for Reform,” Student Note (W.Va. Law Review, Vol. 113)
- "Georgia Court to Unseal USA Gymnastics Complaint Records, Testimony in Negligence Lawsuit,” Author, Jackson Lewis Collegiate & Professional Sports Law Blog (September 1, 2016)
- Public Law in Practice - Employer Vaccination Plans and Protocols | Wednesday, May 19, 2021
- Team NEO Re-start Webinar Part 1: Legal Perspective | Tuesday, March 30, 2021
- COVID: Evolving Lessons in Health Law, Session 2 | Tuesday, February 23, 2021
- Employment law developments while you were quarantining | Tuesday, December 15, 2020
- Ohio is open for business: Now what? | Thursday, August 20, 2020
- 20 Employment Law Challenges for 2020 | Thursday, January 23, 2020
- Weed in the Workplace: The Impact of Medical and Recreational Marijuana on Employers’ Rights | Monday, June 10, 2019
- Attracting and retaining talent in a millennial world | Thursday, March 21, 2019
- NBI Advanced Employment Law: Handle Employment Law Difficulties with Confidence | Monday, August 6, 2018
- EMLF 39th Annual Institute Meeting | Sunday, June 17, 2018