Lisa provides corporate and business counseling to a variety of businesses, business owners and investors in a wide array of industries. She is experienced in a broad range of transactions including mergers and acquisitions; dispositions; joint ventures and restructurings; public and private securities issuances and filings; private equity investments; corporate finance deals; tender offers; and going-private transactions. In addition, Lisa provides general corporate counseling to clients and assists on matters involving entity formation and organization, compliance issues and succession planning. She also advises companies, boards, and management teams on strategic, corporate and governance matters. Lisa is skilled at drafting, analyzing and negotiating all types of commercial contracts and complex agreements. Lisa combines legal experience with business advice to provide exceptional results to clients. Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Lisa was an attorney with an AmLaw 100 Firm. While attending the University of Michigan Law School, Lisa served as Executive Editor of the Michigan Journal of Race & Law and as a student attorney with the Child Advocacy Law Clinic. Prior to attending law school, Lisa worked in several disciplines for a Big 3 auto supplier.
Lisa earned a J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School in 2004. She received a B.S., summa cum laude, from Wayne State University in 1999.
Representative Cases/MattersHealth Care Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented numerous local, regional, and national behavioral health providers in sales to strategic and private-equity fund buyers.
- Represented private-equity-backed purchaser of national behavioral health facility, in transaction valued at over $400 million, in Bankruptcy Code Section 363 Sale.
- Represented hospital systems in Bankruptcy Code Section 363 Sales, including managing process for seamless transition to buyers.
- Represented several privately-held laboratories in asset and equity sales to strategic buyers and private equity funds ranging from $10 million to $200 million.
- Represented regional drugstore in sale to national drug store chain.
- Represented not-for-profit hospital located in New York State in $50 million stock sale of its wholly-owned clinical and anatomic pathology laboratories to a US public company.
- Represented regional cancer center in its affiliation with national oncology and hematology research institute.
- Represented metropolitan-Chicago emergency department provider in multi-million-dollar asset sale to a US public company.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in $200 million transaction.
- Represented numerous physician groups in multi-million-dollar sales to public and private entities.
- Represented manufacturer of medical device equipment in several multi-million-dollar strategic purchases.
- Represented provider of emergency medical record services in joint venture with Chicago-based hospital system.
- Represented billing and coding company in $40 million sale to private equity fund.
- Represented university health system in joint venture of its clinical laboratory with a regional laboratory.
- Represented five affiliated home-health agencies in multi-million sale to a private equity buyer.
General Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented founders of niche developer and underwriter of insurance programs in numerous purchase and sale transactions to private-equity and strategic buyers.
- Represented Fortune 500 automotive company in spin-off of subsidiary and subsequent sale thereof for $6.6 billion as part of transactions valued at over $17 billion.
- Represented private equity fund in approximately $300 million purchase of automotive supplier.
- Represented provider of benefits administration in $30 million asset sale to US public company.
- Represented Fortune 500 aerospace and defense company in numerous multi-million-dollar acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represented private equity fund in acquisition of producer of engineered polymers.
- Represented private equity fund in $80 million divestiture of producer of specialty chemical products.
- Represented automotive supplier in over 10 different sales of various assets and divisions to public and private entities in out-of-court restructuring.
- Represented NASDAQ-listed wholesale provider of advanced telecommunications services in stock sale and restructuring of debt facilities in transaction valued at $200 million.
- Represented developer and producer of high-performance copper alloys as well as chlorine and caustic soda products in connection with multi-million-dollar joint venture.
- Represented purchaser in connection with acquisition of assets of wireless device retailer, including purchase of over 200 retail leases.
Compliance and General Corporate
- Represented, and provided on-going legal advice to, medical device companies, physicians, treatment centers, clinical and anatomic laboratories, home-health agencies, hospitals, specialty pharmacies, clinics, and billing and coding companies in connection with re-organizations, equity investments, divestitures, succession planning and joint ventures.
- Provided counsel to high-ranking officers of several public and private entities with respect to day-to-day legal and business matters, including drafting supply, distributor, settlement, employment, consulting, sales, licensing, and confidentiality agreements, as well as incentive plans, employee handbooks, governance charters, and compliance policies.
- Represented health-care providers in connection with accreditation, licensing, regulatory filings, and related matters.
- Represented numerous physicians and other health-care providers in connection with employment, severance, exit, and release agreements and equity investments.
- Counseled recently public commodities exchange and telecommunications client on applicable public-company obligations and drafted rights plan documentation, 10b5-1 plans, insider trading policies, audit and compensation committee charters, and numerous memorandums regarding fiduciary duties, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and securities law disclosure obligations.
- Represented publicly traded, NYSE-listed company in connection with hostile tender offer of its shares, including preparation of required SEC filings.
- Represented major commodities exchange in complete restructuring and demutualization into a stock, for-profit company and its subsequent $200 million initial public offering.
- Represented Fortune 500 automotive company in sale of $911 million of equity in an underwritten public offering and its offering of $1.5 billion of convertible debt securities.
- Represented public telecommunications company in connection with stock exchange de-listing and “going private” transaction.
- Represented privately-owned diversified financial services entity in connection with private offering of securities to employees and affiliates and analyzed applicable state securities laws.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest pension funds and a local, public pension fund in connection with structuring and negotiation of their investments, including addressing legal and regulatory matters arising from their not-for-profit status.
- Represented private investment funds in numerous equity investments, including senior and mezzanine debt financings.
- Represented financial services firm in connection with numerous private placements totaling over $1 billion.
- Represented builder of residential real estate in connection with raising funds through private placements.
- Represented private investment firm in connection with capital commitments to private equity partnerships, including leveraged buy-out funds, mezzanine funds, venture capital funds, sector funds, community investment funds, and distressed investment funds.
Admissions - State
- University of Michigan Law School
- Wayne State University
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Rising Stars (2012-2014)