Maria is an associate in the Business Restructuring Services Department, one of the largest and most sophisticated bankruptcy and restructuring practices focused on the middle-market. Before joining McDonald Hopkins, Carr gained experience at a Cleveland litigation firm.
She was the recipient of the Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar Distinguished Bankruptcy Law Student Award and the CMBA Sicherman Excellence in Bankruptcy Award in 2014.
Maria earned her J.D., cum laude, from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 2014. She received a Bachelor of Music degree, summa cum laude, in 2011 from Vanderbilt University.
- Data Cooling Technologies, et al. – represented a producer of cooling systems in a chapter 11 case (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
- Central Grocers, Inc. – represented wholesale cooperative and its subsidiaries, including Strack and Van Til Super Market, Inc., in their chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in Chicago, Illinois
- SCI Direct/Suarez Corporation Industries, et al. – represented the official committee of unsecured creditors (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
- Unique Ventures Group, LLC - represented chapter 11 trustee as special sale and franchise counsel in the successful 363 sale of 28 Perkins® Family Restaurants franchises. (Bankr. W.D. Pa.)
- Auburn Armature – represented the secured lender and debtor-in-possession lender in chapter 11 bankruptcy (Bankr. N.D.N.Y.)
- Coshocton County Memorial Hospital Association - represented a 56-bed acute care community hospital in a successful 363 asset sale and chapter 11 case. (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
- Gulf Chemical Metallurgical Company, et al. - represented a leading producer of ferroalloys in chapter 11 bankruptcy. (Bankr. W.D. Pa.)
- QSL of Medina, Inc., et al. - represented franchisor of Quaker Steak & Lube® brand in successful 363 asset sale, plan of liquidation, and significant litigation with franchisee (Bankr. N.D. Ohio)
- Review and development of area development agreements, franchise agreements, and other franchise documents for small franchisees and franchisors
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Vanderbilt University
Honors and Awards
- Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar Distinguished Bankruptcy Law Student Award
- CMBA Sicherman Excellence in Bankruptcy Award
- CALI Award, Case Western Civil Litigation Clinic
- Building Hope in the City - Board Member
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association - Women in Law Section
- Turnaround Management Association - NextGen Advisory Board
- International Women Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC) – Northeast Ohio Steering Board
Public Service and Volunteerism
- American Bar Association Forum on Franchising
- Vanderbilt Alumni VUCorps Volunteer Admission Interviewer
New Ohio House Bill 494 limits state joint employer liability for corporate franchisors
A frozen franchise: Cryotherapy franchise litigation explores fundamental franchise issues
NLRB begins rulemaking process to consider controversial joint-employer standard
What a wreck: Attempted rejection of implied franchise leads to dismissal of bankruptcy cases
NLRB vacates opinion requiring joint employers to have a relationship of direct control
Joint employers require relationship of direct control: A victory for the franchise community
Exploding craft beer scene may lead to unintentional franchise violations
No easy access to Christmas Ale this winter?
The impact of a right of first refusal clause in your franchise agreement during bankruptcy
"Insured vs. insured" exception not going away anytime soon
Can you take back your franchise contract?
Are negotiations before a franchise agreement was finalized admissible?
What makes a liquidated damages provision reasonable?
Franchisor not intended beneficiary for mandatory mediation in franchisee equity dispute
Wendy’s 3-year battle with franchisee resolved through sale of 140 restaurants
SunEdison: A dark fight ahead?
- "Sixth Circuit Rules that the “Insured Versus Insured” Exception Applies to Liquidating Trustees," TMA Turnaround Times - Ohio (September/October 2017)
- "Debt Restructuring, Corporate Governance, and Competition in the United States," Presenter to Chinese delegation for the Cleveland Council on World Affairs, March 23, 2018
- "Uncover the Mysteries of 13-Week Cash Flow Models," Moderator, June 29, 2017