Matt is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. For more than 18 years, Matt’s practice has centered upon representing natural gas distribution and transmission companies in civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States, including lawsuits involving fires and explosions, natural gas leaks, wrongful death and personal injury claims, real and personal property damages, carbon monoxide claims, and environmental claims. In the course of his representation of natural gas companies, Matt regularly provides emergency response advice and assistance in connection with natural gas incidents. Matt’s practice also includes representing energy and natural gas companies in real property and pipeline infrastructure disputes, such as easement appropriation proceedings and right-of-way encroachment and enforcement lawsuits. In addition to his energy litigation experience, Matt also represents and advises clients in connection with commercial and business litigation matters, including data privacy and cybersecurity lawsuits.
Matt is a frequent speaker at natural gas industry conferences and events, and he is a member of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (including its Energy Utilities Law Section) and the American Gas Association. Matt also serves as a Master Bencher in the Judge John M. Manos Inn of Court in Cleveland, Ohio.
Matt is licensed to practice in all courts in Ohio, including the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Matt earned his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 2001. He earned his B.A. in Business Administration (Finance), cum laude, from the University of Notre Dame in 1998.
Matt has been a member of the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland since 2012, and he had the privilege of serving as its Board Chair from 2015-2017. He also has been a member of the Board of Directors of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio since 2016
Admissions - Court
- Ohio Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- University of Notre Dame
Honors and Awards
- Community Service Award – Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2000-2001)
- Student Leadership Award – Case Western Reserve University School of Law (2000-2001)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2010, 2011, 2014, 2015)
- The Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- American Gas Association
- Judge John M. Manos Inn of Court – Master Bencher
- Defense Research Institute
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio – Board of Directors (2016-Present)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cleveland – Board of Directors (2012 – Present), Board Chair (2015-2017)
- Fundamentals of emergency response | Thursday, February 25, 2016