Mazen Asbahi has over 20 years of experience working with clients in healthcare and corporate law. His healthcare expertise includes counseling physicians, dentists and other providers on their regulatory and business matters. Mazen not only guides physicians and other providers on their day-to-day business and compliance matters, he helps start-up and growth stage companies in the healthcare and technology sectors.
Mazen’s corporate law background encompasses serving as outside general counsel to fast-growing companies and representing entrepreneurs, investors, and executives in the areas of start-up, venture capital and private equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and general commercial matters.
With a strong commitment to serving the community, Mazen has served on a number of boards of directors and regularly counsels nonprofit boards and executives on governance, best practices, and day-to-day operational matters. Mazen is a Fellow of Leadership Greater Chicago, a premiere civic leadership development organization.
Mazen earned his J.D., with cum laude honors, from Northwestern University School of Law in 2000 and received a B.A. with high honors in political science and Middle Eastern Studies from the University of Michigan in 1996. He is currently attending Loyola University Law School to earn a LL.M. in Health Law.
- Represented physician and dental practices, individual physicians, dentists and other providers on a variety of corporate and regulatory matters, including sales and purchases of practices, group formations, employment matters and regulatory compliance with Stark, Anti-kickback, HIPAA, Corporate Practice of Medicine, fee-splitting and other federal and state laws and regulations.
- Representative health law matters include:
- Represented 20+ cardiology group in the sale of its practice to a large multi-specialty group
- Represented a cardio-vascular group in connection with the termination of its founding member and transition to new leadership; managed an internal audit of potential billing fraud/medically unnecessary procedures and strengthened its corporate compliance plan
- Represented founder in establishing a dental practice management company and purchase of a dental practice
- Represented ophthalmologist in the purchase of an ophthalmology practice
- Represented neurologist and psychiatrist in the purchase of a sleep lab and medical practice
- Represented a dermatologist in the development of a smart-phone medical application and e-health venture
- Represent a large pathology group on a variety of corporate and regulatory matters, including a review of its hospital agreement, buy-ins and buy-outs and internal corporate restructuring.
- Represented a multi-office dental practice in a potential sale to a regional dental practice management company.
- Represented many individual physicians, dentists and other providers in negotiating their employment or independent contractor agreements.
- Representative corporate matters include:
- Represent a number of entrepreneurs in key aspects of their start-up ventures, including handling equity, financing, employment, and intellectual property matters.
- Represent a growing high-end coffee roasting company, BowTruss, on a variety of growth equity and financing matters.
- Serve as general counsel of an award-winning digital agency, handling matters ranging from joint venture agreements, start-up investments, and intellectual property matters.
- Represented a leading mobile power and fluid distribution company in the negotiation and documentation of large commercial contracts and joint ventures.
- Represented private equity sponsor in the formation of a private equity fund and in connection with a number of private equity transactions.
- Represented a German multi-national corporation in the acquisition of a U.S.-based company and advised on its expansion into the U.S. market.
- Represented one of the country’s leading provider of product images, product content, and related services to the consumer packaged goods services.
- Represented investors in a popular franchise chain.
- Represented an international consulting company on a variety of matters, including its expansion into the Middle East.
- Represent governmental contractors on a wide variety of corporate, M&A and commercial matters.
Admissions - State
- Northwestern University School of Law
- University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- American Bar Association, Business Law, Health and Nonprofit Law Committees
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Chicago Council of Lawyers
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Leadership Greater Chicago
- 2007 Fellows Program
- Board Member, Fellows Associations (2007-2011)
- Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, Board of Directors & General Counsel (2004-2016)
- Council of Islamic Organizations of Greater Chicago, Board of Directors (2011-2013)
- Chicago Legal Clinic Auxiliary Board (2005-2008)
- Syrian Support Group, Board of Directors; President (2012-2014)
- Syrian American Council, Chicago Council, President (2014-2015)
- Mecca Center, Board Member (2015 – present)
- Obama for America 2008 Presidential Campaign, National Outreach Director for Arab Americans and Muslim Americans
- Various articles and client alerts, including:
- American Medical Association to Tackle Texting (May 8, 2017)
- Health Reform Outlook for 2017: A Year of Major Uncertainty (January 11, 2017)
- CMS Issues Final MACRA Rule: Expands Exemptions and Flexibility for Smaller Practices (October 17, 2016)
- CMS Allays Concerns Regarding Medicare Quality Payment Program Reporting Starting January 1, 2017 (September 15, 2016)
- Faith and Politics at Obama for America, in All American: 45 American Men on being Muslim (White Cloud Press: 2012)
- Co-author, Padding Down Esopus Creek: Using Bankruptcy as a Corporate Governance Tool, Bankruptcy Strategist (March 2007), reprinted in Corporate Counsel (April 2007), with Jonathan Friedland
- Co-author, Up the Ladder and Beyond: Attorney Conduct and Reporting Duties with Respect to Issuers, Auditors and the Commission Under SEC Implementing Rules to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 in Preparation of Annual Disclosure Documents (Practicing Law Institute, January 2005), with Terry F. Moritz and Robert M. Oberlies
External Speaking Engagements
- “Hot Topics in Physician Law: Fraud & Abuse Enforcement Trends; Physician Compensation; and Private Equity Investment in Physician Practices,” Annual Conference of Association of Physicians of Pakistani Descent in North America (July 9, 2017)
- “Hot Topics in Healthcare Law,” Syrian American Medical Society Conference (February 15, 2015)
- “Effective Compliance Plans for Medical Practices,” Syrian American Medical Society Conference (February 15, 2015)
- “Hot Topics in Healthcare Law,” National Arab American Medical Association Conference (September 3, 2012)
- “Understanding the Physicians Sunshine Payment Act,” Syrian American Medical Society Foundation (January 22, 2012)
- “What You Need to Know Before Signing Your Employment Agreement,” Society of Hospitalist Medicine- Chicago Chapter Meeting (November 4, 2009)