Mike is the Co-Chair of the firm’s Energy Practice Group and prior Chairman of the Firm’s Government and Public Finance Group. Mike has extensive experience working on gas and electricity related issues. He is also working directly with a number of advanced / renewable energy companies on finance and regulatory issues. Mike's practice includes oil and gas issues, particularly as it relates to shale opportunities.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Mike was the Director of Governor Taft’s Regional Economic Development Office in Cleveland, where he was the senior liaison between the Cleveland business community and the Governor. While at the Governor’s office, Mike worked on securing state funds for local projects ranging from infrastructure improvements to tax credits for job creation to capital improvement projects for the region. He was involved in numerous major public/private partnerships. Mike continues to assist clients in financially engineering their projects with the assistance of public support.
Mike is also a former member of the Ohio General Assembly and the former Co-Chair of the Cuyahoga County Republican Party. He served on the Republican State Central Committee and has acted as Special Counsel to the Ohio Attorney General for the last 11 years. He currently also serves as a trustee in Chagrin Falls Township.
Mike earned his J.D. from Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 1990. He graduated from Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary in 1986, and received a B.A., with highest honors, from Grove City College in 1984.
- Represents a national oil and gas driller with respect to government issues and land rights.
- Represented an advanced energy company in regards to its FERC permits for an installation off the coast of New Jersey.
- Represented a start up company in regards to its FERC and Army Corp permits for river installations.
- Obtained a new Final Rule regarding tire registration for a distributor.
- Represented a consortium of coal companies in securing a federal appropriation.
- Representation of trade group of Ohio industrials regarding energy issues.
- General counsel for an offshore wind project.
- General counsel for an energy development company.
- Representation of a national association with respect to election law disputes.
- Representation of a major steel manufacturer with respect to a $250 million dollar federally guaranteed loan.
- Representation of a major steel manufacturer with respect to a bankruptcy workout.
- Representation of a coalition of Fortune 1000 companies with respect to a legislative initiative to mitigate asbestos exposure.
- Representation of manufacturers and technology companies with respect to government economic assistance packages.
- Representation of multiple steel companies on carbon reduction initiative.
- Representation of a shale E&P with focus on legislative, regulatory, and water issues.
- Formation and representation of an industrial water company.
Assisted pipeline EPC with state and FERC related issues.
PPP projects include multiple sports stadiums, highways, convention centers, and short line railroads.
Admissions - Court
- Ohio Supreme Court
- Federal Court for the Northern District
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary
- Grove City College
Honors and Awards
- Presidential Citation Award, Academy of Medicine of Cleveland and Northern Ohio, 2012
- Forty Under 40: The Class of 1995, Crain's Cleveland Business
- Leadership Cleveland: The Class of 1994
- Ohio Roundtable Leadership in Government Award, 1994
- American Bar Association
- American Council of Young Political Leaders
- American Council on Renewable Energy
- Leadership Cleveland, Class of 1994
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Chagrin Falls Township Trustee (2009-Present)
- Cuyahoga County Republican Party, Co-Chair (2000-2005)
- Governor Taft’s Northeast Ohio Regional Representative (1999-2000)
- Ohio State Representative (1992-1998)
More natural gas pricing trends
Natural gas breaks through $3
Big Ohio shale shout out
Conservatives and clean energy
Post-Convention Energy Insights
Golden Age of US Energy
US energy security is on the rise
Who is #1 in the Utica?
State of shale dependent on responsible energy policy
More on the presidential hopefuls and energy policy
Governor Kasich steps out on energy
Say what?! Energy Secretary Moniz and the pipeline problem
It is time for Congress to support the US Oil & Gas Industry
End of the year energy cheer
It's the Utica...
It's the shale stupid
Seeking natural gas price equilibrium
Former GOP candidate [and Harvard University!] show way on energy
Obama's natural gas dance
Daniel Yergin on oil's historic year
Debate 2015: Where is the energy?
US shale and Utica are astounding
More on Ohio's budget: Less severance
It's June and it's Ohio Budget Time
Can Solar Stay Hot?
Could An Ohio Ballot Initiative Unite Severance Tax Foes?
Utica in 2015 and the Oil and Gas Severance Tax
Daniel Yergin on the US and Oil
Walking the thin line of new taxes on shale
Elections and Energy: The next two years look to be a "Cold War"
Shale ignites American optimism
Iraq War III: More of the same with a twist
Solar is surviving shale
NY snoozes while PA booms
Shale drives growth of natural gas transportation
Shale boom shields markets from international disruptions
Shale in the Political Balance
Is the US blowing the Shale Revolution?
Maine and Ohio: Natural gas causing divergent economic paths
SE Ohio and Gulfport Energy are HOT - BP and NE Ohio not so much
US needs all forms of energy and PTC extension is critical
The State of Solar
Ohio Supreme Court Case - Home Rule and Preemption
Is solar right for your business?
Economic Impact of Shale
Shale: The Rock that Rocked the World
Global Impact of US Shale
An energy issue to watch in 2014 – Transporting frac water by barge
Cleveland Based Key Bank Bullish on Gulfport Energy
Water Management Challenges in the Shale Industry
- "Utica Shale Production in a Slump, Waiting for Next Boom," Geauga County Maple Leaf, March 26, 2015
- "How energy projects are driving the national, state and local economies," Smart Business Magazine, April 2012
- "How to find the best electricity provider to meet your needs," Smart Business Magazine,July 2010
- "Energy savvy business," Smart Business Magazine, August 2009
- Shale Update: 2016 Analysis I 2017 Forecast program | Tuesday, November 29, 2016
- Energy Forum: Oil and gas revisited | Wednesday, June 15, 2016
- Energy Forum: Shale Update: 2015 analysis | 2016 forecast | Tuesday, December 1, 2015
- Energy Forum: Utica Outlook 2015 | Tuesday, January 20, 2015
- Energy Forum: Is solar right for your business? | Thursday, March 6, 2014
- Energy Forum: Water Management Challenges in the Shale Industry | Wednesday, October 30, 2013
- Creative project financing | Thursday, February 28, 2013
- Energy Forum: It's all about water! Water challenges in the oil and gas industry. | Wednesday, February 13, 2013
- Energy Forum: Water challenges in the oil and gas industry. | Wednesday, February 13, 2013
- Moderator, Energy Forum on Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV), June 7, 2012
- "State Renewables Policies – Lessons Learned After a Decade of Success," ABA/ACORE Webinar, Moderator, February 15, 2012
- Co-Chair of the monthly ABA/ACORE Webinar Series