Minglei is an Associate in the Business Restructuring Department at McDonald Hopkins. Combining 14 years as a Chinese transaction lawyer with extensive experience in international business transactions, Minglei is a creative problem solver who guides her clients through complex bankruptcy and insolvency issues. Her practice also includes working with companies across the globe in a variety of industries pursuing international business transactions, outbound investments, licensing, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital financing, and general corporate and commercial matters.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Minglei served as an advisor and legal asset to corporations working through international business transactions. She was the Founder and Director of MingleiLegal LLC, a legal consulting company serving U.S. and European law firms, where she bridged cultural gaps and worked to secure partnerships between U.S. organizations and Chinese law firms and provided supervision for on-the-ground teams engaged in pre-transaction due diligence, business filings, and trademark disputes. Before founding her own company, Minglei worked in director’s positions for several Chinese law firms, establishing overseas offices, providing legal consulting services to U.S. clients pursuing commercial transactions in China, managing inbound transactions and joint ventures, developing international prospect review processes, advising Chinese investors in U.S. transactions, and collaborating with international law firms as part of global teams. Minglei also has experience serving as in-house legal counsel to a large global branding agency.
Minglei earned her JD from Northwestern Pritzker School of Law. She earned a BA in English from Beijing Foreign Studies University and a double BA in International Economic Law from Fudan University. Fluent in Mandarin Chinese, Minglei is a Chinese Bar qualified attorney.
- Assisted a Belgian law firm with conducting due diligence on its potential Chinese buyer.
- Represented an Italian law firm investigating Chinese/Italian joint venture subsidiary for suspicion of asset stripping.
- Advised a Latvian law firm embroiled in a trademark dispute with a Chinese partner, establishing terms.
- Assisted a U.S. law firm through a Chinese/American OEM IP dispute; secured a mutually beneficial resolution.
- Secured a large UK logistic compnay contract to provide legal advice on its first China e-commerce venture, while restructuring its local affiliate to support regional sales from Hong Kong.
- Represented a large German company in a joint venture dispute with its Chinese counterparty, and in a software licensing agreement dispute.
- Advocated on behalf of a Sino-French joint venture in its dispute with the Chinese tax authorities.
- Advised on litigation options in a food-industry formulation dispute for a U.S. firm in China.
Admissions - State
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Fudan University
- Beijing Foreign Studies University
Honors and Awards
- Dean’s List 2020 Fall Semester (Northwestern)
- Dean’s list 2021 Spring Semester (Northwestern)
- Chinese Bar Association 2007
- Member, International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Executive Committee, International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA) 2016-2019