Nick is an associate in McDonald Hopkins' national Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Practice Group. Nick counsels clients in the areas of data privacy and cybersecurity. He acts as a breach coach or litigator, defending clients in breach or non-compliance situations, and as an adviser to clients weighing possible legal problems in the future. He has deep expertise assisting clients with the design of legally-compliant privacy programs and evaluating existing corporate practices against privacy laws to identify and address potential compliance gaps. Nick is particularly adept at navigating omnibus data privacy legislation, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act and the General Data Protection Regulation in the European Union. He has also worked with sectoral regulations, such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, HIPAA, and FERPA. In addition to working with clients directly on their own cybersecurity and privacy practices, he also serves clients by evaluating the strength of an acquisition target’s privacy and cybersecurity compliance programs.
Nick has a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) certification from the International Associate of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). Before joining McDonald Hopkins, Nick was a Senior Associate in KPMG’s Cyber group; where he assisted large corporations in the design and improvement of data privacy programs and procedures. Prior to joining KPMG, he was a legal research fellow at the IAPP. Nick earned a J.D. from the University of Michigan, where he served as executive technology editor of the Michigan Telecommunications and Technology Law Review. He holds two undergraduate degrees from the University of Notre Dame: a B.S. in Computer Science and a B.A. in Psychology. Before law school, Nick worked as a professional software engineer and technical project manager, where he gained hands-on experience developing internet of things and big data applications.
Nick is fluent in Spanish, conversational in French, and knows eight programming languages.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US)
Admissions - State
- University of Michigan Law School
- University of Notre Dame
- State Bar of Michigan
- "Talking Tech for Privacy Pros: Databases 101," Whitepaper, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- "Distributed Databases and Principles of Disaster Recovery," Whitepaper, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- "Coming Down from the cloud: A Concise Explanation of Cloud Computing and Introduction to Systems Architecture," Whitepaper, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- "The Ethical and Legal Ramifications of Using Pseudo-AI," Think Piece, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- "Privacy Law and Resolving ‘Deepfakes’ Online,"
Think Piece, International Association of Privacy Professionals