In 2017, Jeff retired from the active practice of law. Jeff remains with the firm as Senior Of Counsel focusing on civic matters and pro bono counseling and litigation, with particular emphasis on mental health law.
Prior to his retirement, Jeff represented public and private corporations and business professionals in all aspects of litigation in federal and state courts and before various arbitration venues, specializing in general business litigation.
From 2001 to 2005, he served as General Counsel for Metaldyne Corporation. Metaldyne is a manufacturer of high quality steel components and subassemblies for the automobile industry, with facilities in the United States and throughout the world.
Jeff earned his J.D. from Northeastern University School of Law in 1976. He received a M.T.S. from Harvard University in 1971 and a B.A. from DePauw University in 1968.
Counsel in the following representative pro bono cases:
- Represented mental health organizations as amicus curiae in State ex rel. McQueen v. Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Probate Division, 135 Ohio St.3d 291, 2013-Ohio-65, in which the Supreme Court of Ohio established the right to counsel in guardianship termination hearings.
- Represented the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association as relator in attorney disciplinary cases including Cleveland Metro. Bar Assn. v. Kealy, 125 Ohio St.3d 238, 2010-Ohio-1554; Cleveland Metro. Bar Assn. v. McFaul, 120 Ohio St.3d 293, 2008-Ohio-6145; Cleveland Metro. Bar Assn. v. Toohig, 133 Ohio St.3d 548, 2012-Ohio-5202; Cleveland Metro. Bar Assn. v. Sleibi, 144 Ohio St.3d 257, 215-Ohio-2724; and Cleveland Metro. Bar Assn. v. Frenden, 149 Ohio St.3d 548, 2016-Ohio-7198.
- Represented the NAACP in post decree litigation in Goodwine v. Taft, In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Case No. 3:75-CV-00304.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
Admissions - State
- Michigan (Emeritus)
- DePauw University
- Harvard University
- Northeastern University School of Law
Honors and Awards
- NAACP Civil Rights Champion Award, 2012
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland Community Impact Award, 2015
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Trial Counsel in Disciplinary Proceedings before the Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Ohio Eighth District Judicial Conference (Life Member)
- Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference (Life Member)
- Adjunct Professor, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (1994-2000)
- American Arbitration Association (Member), National Roster of Neutrals
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Retirement Housing Foundation, Trustee
- Recovery Resources, Trustee
- Woodruff Foundation, Trustee
- Leadership Council, Harvard Divinity School
- Chair, Lawyers' Mental Health Task Force (2010 - 2014)