Steve is a member in the Litigation Department of McDonald Hopkins’ Chicago office. The former managing partner of Mandell Menkes in Chicago brings a mature and sophisticated practice based on extensive experience in complex commercial litigation involving, among other matters, information technology and intellectual property disputes.
Through his established national client base, Steve’s practice expands McDonald Hopkins’ litigation footprint in the Chicago market and beyond. His cases in state and federal courts and before arbitration panels have involved commercial contract disputes, patent litigation, trademark infringement claims, defamation claims, misappropriation of trade secret claims, claims of violations of restrictive covenants, claims involving alleged violations of the federal securities laws, and insurance coverage disputes.
Steve earned his J.D. in 1993 from the University of Illinois, graduating cum laude. He completed a B.A. from the University of Michigan in 1990. Prior to beginning his law practice, Steve founded a computer consulting firm concentrating on the development and implementation of custom software designed to manage mid-sized distribution and services companies.
- In 2016, won a verdict in favor of a scientific society in a case involving allegations of defamation and trade libel filed by a large consumer products company based on an article concerning the type of product the company sells.
- In 2014, won a jury verdict in favor of a television station and reporter in a case involving allegations of defamation and false light.
- In 2013, tried a high-profile right of publicity case against an advertiser brought by one of the world’s most famous athletes.
- In 2013, won an injunction in federal court in favor of a prominent university professor in a case involving allegations of securities fraud and tortious interference with prospective business relations.
- In 2012, won dismissal of a class action based on claims arising under the Electronic Fund Transfer Act and the Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- In 2011, won a jury verdict in favor of a telecommunications company in a case involving allegations of fraud and breach of contract.
- In 2010 and 2011, arbitrated several complex software implementation and licensing cases involving Fortune-500 companies.
- In 2010, successfully obtained a dismissal with prejudice of a complaint alleging a failed software implementation against a Fortune-500 software company (2010 U.S. Dist. Lexis 136254).
- In 2010, won a verdict in federal court in favor of a Fortune-500 company in a case involving allegations of breach of fiduciary, conversion and successor liability.
- In 2009, won a permanent injunction in federal court in a trademark infringement case involving trademark infringement and dilution.
- In 2009, won a Sixth Circuit appeal upholding a district court’s grant of summary judgment in his client’s favor in a multi-million dollar software licensing and product liability dispute where Mr. Rosenfeld represented a Fortune-100 software company.
- In 2009, won a preliminary injunction preventing a corporate squeeze-out merger involving the Chief Executive Officer of a hotel management corporation.
- In 2008, won a jury verdict in federal court favor of a Fortune-500 company in a case involving allegations of insider trading and breach of a separation agreement.
- In 2007, obtained summary judgment on breach of contract and partnership-by-estoppel claims against a Fortune-500 software manufacturer in federal court in Michigan.
- In 2006, won a jury verdict in favor of a Fortune-500 lending institution in a case involving allegations of anticipatory breach by a company that had borrowed money to purchase a chain of medical clinics. The jury not only found against the plaintiffs on its claim, but also found for the lending institution on its counterclaim and awarded the lending institution its attorney’s fees.In 2006, tried a high-profile defamation case brought by the Chief Justice of the Illinois Supreme Court.
- In 2004, Mr. Rosenfeld successfully tried three complex software cases for one of the nation’s leading enterprise resource software companies. In one of the cases, which involved both software issues and international copyright infringement issues, Mr. Rosenfeld convinced the plaintiff to abandon its case just before argument on a directed verdict motion.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all fraud, quasi-contract and warranty claims brought by a manufacturing company against a major software manufacturer in federal court in Michigan.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all fraud and quasi-fraud claims brought by a multi-national manufacturing company against a major software manufacturer in federal court in Indiana.
- Obtained summary judgment upholding the limitation of liability clause in a software contract in the face of allegations of fraud and unconscionability.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of all claims filed against a software company in federal court in Illinois based on the applicable statute of limitations.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction in federal court in Illinois on behalf of a Fortune 500 food company against a website publisher in a high-profile trademark suit involving the protection accorded commercial versus free speech.
- Obtained a summary judgment in state court in Louisiana in a defamation case involving allegedly defamatory allegations in a pleading.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar Member)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
Admissions - State
- University of Illinois
- University of Michigan
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent rated by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Named one of the Top Lawyers in Illinois by the Legal Network
- Named one of the Top Lawyers in Chicago by the National Law Journal
- Litigation Section of the American Bar Association
- Section on Intellectual Property Law of the American Bar Association
- The Science and Technology Law Section of the American Bar Association
- The Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Understanding the Intellectual Property License 2018 | Friday, November 2, 2018