Teresa counsels with respect to all real estate acquisitions, divestitures, leasing, financing and development. She has represented individuals, corporations, non-profits and governmental bodies with all aspects of real estate development including land assembly, planning, zoning, environmental and financing, including public-private partnerships. Teresa’s diverse real estate experience allows her to advise on all types of real estate transactions.
She also works with clients in developing and maintaining strong relationships with local and state officials, as well as community stakeholders, to advance clients' legal and legislative matters, particularly for non-profit, real estate development and gaming industry clients.
Teresa represents small business owners on various legal matters including but not limited to contracts, employment matters, intellectual property matters, litigation and construction matters.
Teresa is a graduate of the University of Alabama and Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.
- Served as underwriter's counsel in connection with the refunding of $245 million issuance for a regional sewer district.
- Served as underwriter's counsel in connection with issuance on behalf of the Treasurer of State of a $98 million fixed and variable rate issuance.
- Bond Counsel in connection with the issuance and sale of $42MM taxable revenue parking bonds for the construction of an approximately 972-space parking garage and approximately 17,700 square feet of street-level retail and office space in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Borrower’s counsel for $15 million fiber optic conduit financing.
- Bond and borrower counsel for $88,000,000 refunding for Ohio nonprofit corporation.
- Bond counsel to Cuyahoga County in the issuance of $137,890,000 sales tax bonds.
- Placement Agent’s counsel for $103 million parking facility, including construction, real estate and private placement in Tempe, Arizona.
- Issuer’s counsel for $3.8 million senior housing facility in Trumbull County, Ohio
- Represented lender in $45 million loan to New York’s Metropolitan Transit Authority.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel in connection with a $25 million student housing facility in Augusta, Georgia.
- Served as underwriter’s counsel in connection with a $45 million student housing facility and alumni center in Jackson, Mississippi.
- Represented the City of Cleveland in connection with a U.S. Housing and Urban Development 108 Loan and Tax
- Represented the City of Cleveland in connection with a Housing and Urban Development 108 Loan, Tax Incremental Financing and other conventional lending sources in a leveraged New Markets Tax Credit and Historic Tax Credit transaction related to the redevelopment of the East Ohio Gas Company building into a mixed-used commercial development project consisting of housing, retail and parking. This is a $65 million project with multiple public and private lending sources.
- Represented the City of Cleveland as a leverage lender and a grantor of a Housing and Urban Development Brownfield Economic Development Grant (BEDI), as well as other city lending sources in a New Markets Tax Credit transaction for the development and construction of a commercial greenhouse located in the urban core of the city, a $16 million transaction.
- Served as lender’s counsel to the city of Cleveland in connection with a $30 million Housing and Urban Development loan related to financing of the Flats East Bank project, a $272 million project with more than 30 sources of financing.
- Serving as Placement Agent counsel in a $90 million bond private placement for the construction of a parking garage in Tempe, Arizona.
- Played a strategic role in obtaining summary judgment for municipal utility in $188 million class action regarding alleged customer overcharges. The Court held for the municipal utility on all claims, and completely rejected the theory proposed by the plaintiffs’ counsel.
- Representation of the City of Warrensville Heights, Ohio, as its Director of Law.
- Represented company in the negotiation of a Project Labor Agreement with the building trade unions to ensure the company would meet its diversity goals.
- Served as the lead real estate attorney representing Playhouse Square Foundation on the construction and development of its 34-story apartment tower, “The Lumen at Playhouse Square,” which consists of 318 apartments, 528 parking spaces and approximately 20,000 square feet of residential amenities.
- Represented a utility provider in the acquisition, development and construction of a training center.
- Represented Group Plan Commission in the redevelopment of Public Square and the construction of a pedestrian and bicycle bridge, Cleveland Ohio.
- Represented Cuyahoga County Public Library in the sale and purchase of real property for construction of new library branches.Represented local housing authority in the master lease of its former headquarters as well as other transactional and real estate matters.
- Served as general counsel to a 501(c)(3) District Energy Company, which includes but is not limited to corporate governance, construction, financing, and labor and employment matters.
- Represents small business owners on various legal matters including but not limited to contracts, employment matters, intellectual property matters, litigation and construction matters.
- Incremental Financing in a leveraged New Markets Tax Credit and Historic Tax Credit transaction related to the redevelopment of the AmeriTrust building, now known as “the 9,” a $270 million project with multiple financing sources.
- Represented 501(c)(3) senior healthcare entity in connection with the construction and development of a new headquarters and training center using New Markets Tax Credits, a $12 million project.
- Represented a managed healthcare company headquartered in Long Beach, California, in connection with the acquisition of a 157,000-square-foot building in Columbus, Ohio, to serve as its headquarters for its Ohio operations, a $8.5 million purchase.
- Represented a healthcare developer in the acquisition, development and construction of a healthcare rehabilitation facility.
- Represented a large 501(c)(3) healthcare provider in connection with the acquisition, construction, development and implementation of its Vision 2010 plan, a $1 billion investment, which included the construction of five major medical facilities as well as the expansion of a number of existing facilities.
- Represented the City of Cleveland as lender in a combined New Markets Tax Credit and Historic Tax Credit transaction for the buildout of commercial office space, a $7 million transaction.
- Represented developer in connection with the State of Ohio Energy Loan secured by Special Assessment to be levied by the local municipality in the event of a default.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- University of Alabama
Honors and Awards
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law- Alumni of the Year (2019)
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law - Hall of Fame Inductee (2018)
- Crain's Cleveland Business – Notable Women in Finance (2018)
- Savoy Magazine - Most Influential Black Lawyer (2018)
- Ohio’s Top 15 Business Women for 2018 by the National Diversity Council
- YWCA Woman of Achievement (2017), YWCA Woman of Professional Excellence (2011)
- Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School Hall of Fame – Inductee (2016)
- Who’s Who in Black Cleveland – Honoree (2018, 2016)
- Crain’s Cleveland Business – Woman of Note (2014)
- CREW Cleveland Deborah R. Klausner Leadership Award (2008)
- CBC (Cleveland Business Connects) Cover Feature Article (October 2007)
- Kaleidoscope Magazine’s 40-40 Club
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America (2020)
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame – Board of Trustees
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association – Judicial Selection Committee (April 2018 - Present)
- Neighborhood Progress, Inc. – Vice Chair, Chair of the Placemaking Committee and Member of the Executive Committee (June 2018 - Present)
- Karamu House – Board of Directors, Chair of Governance Committee and member of Executive Committee (2017 – Present)
- 5805 Euclid, Inc. (a.k.a. University Hospitals Women’s and Children’s Center) - Board of Directors – Member (2017-Present)
- Downtown Cleveland Alliance – Board of Directors and Executive Committee (2017-Present)
- In Counsel With Women – Board Member, Secretary and Member of the Executive Committee
- National Association of Bond Lawyers – Member; Model Trust Indenture and Letter of Disclosure Counsel Committees
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW) – Member; Past Presidents Committee
- Women In Public Finance – Member
- Executive Women’s Leadership Forum – Member (2016-Present)
- Bluecoats, Inc. – Member (2015-Present)
- Leadership Cleveland – Class of 2007
- American Bar Association – Member
- National Bar Association – Member
Public Service and Volunteerism
Current Public Service and Volunteerism
- The Links, Inc. (Western Reserve Chapter)
- Cleveland Foundation - Social Impact Investment Committee
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (Greater Cleveland Alumnae Chapter) – Member
Past Public Service and Volunteerism
- The Cleveland Foundation – Board of Directors, Chair of the Social Impact Investment Committee, member of the Audit, Finance and Administration Committees and the Grant Making and Community Engagement Committee (2015-2019)
- Laurel School for Girls – Board of Trustees, member of the Governance and Executive Committees (2009 - 2018)
- Cleveland Business Connects Magazine – Advisory Board Member (2008-2017)
- Cleveland Botanical Garden – Board of Directors, Chair, Committee on Governance (2011 - 2017)
- YWCA Circle of Women Committee
- Jack and Jill of America Foundation (Cleveland Chapter)
- Cleveland Foundation – Board Member
- Village Capital Corporation
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Black Professionals Association Charitable Foundation
- A Cultural Exchange
- Cleveland Housing Network
- Universal Sisters: Live Younger Longer Program – Participant
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Center – Sing-Out! Volunteer
- Courage to Succeed Women's Conference 2019, Federal Reserve Bank Cleveland, October 18, 2019
- A Commercial Real Estate Forum, Accelerate Cleveland, October 17, 2019
- Paul J. Everson Real Estate Center 2018 Conference, Cleveland State University, October 25, 2018
- “Growing Into My Big Girl Shoes,” WINCleveland, March 2018
- The Women in Industry – Featuring the female leaders who inspire our industry,” Society for Marketing Professional Services, Cleveland, Ohio, September 2017
- “Expanding Your Business in Today's Political & Economic Climate - The Current State of Affairs & Public Policy That Impacts Your Business,” The Presidents’ Council 2017 Annual Conference, Cleveland, Ohio, August 2017
- “Is Your Financial House in Order? Or Things I Wish I Had Known When...,” Union Club of Cleveland Engaging Women’s Committee Event, Cleveland, Ohio, 2016
- Panelist, Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity Tau Boule Professional Development Series
- International Economic Development Council’s Annual Conference IGNITE Women’s Mentoring Luncheon
- Flourish Cleveland Conference for Women in Leadership
- Cleveland Professional 20/30 Club’s “Ladies Who Lead” Professional Women’s Forum, 2015
- Ohio Diversity Council’s Women in Leadership Symposium, 2015
- Keynote Speaker, Case Western Reserve University’s Black Law Students Association “Black Ties” Event, 2014
- International Women’s Day, URS Cleveland, 2014