Legal Secretary – Litigation (CLE)
The Cleveland office of McDonald Hopkins LLC is seeking a Secretary for our Litigation Department.
- Prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts, format briefs, pleadings and other legal documents
- Transcribe dictation
- File legal documents including electronic filings
- Screen telephone calls, as appropriate and record messages
- Maintain calendar and deadline reminder systems, make appointments
- Make travel arrangements
- Complete expense reports
- Open new file requests, conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintain client and general files. Conduct periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepare files to be closed
- Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship
- Complete time charges
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills
- Work closely with administrative support
- Ability to read and write in order to proof and perform minor editing (e.g., punctuation, grammar, spelling) of routine law office correspondence and legal case matters. Perform non-complex arithmetic calculations when verifying calculations on forms and documents; maintain records and filing systems at a level normally acquired through completion of high school or equivalent
- Ability to transcribe legal documents, correspondence and reports from rough draft or dictation
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints
- Ability to proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical or spelling errors.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft software
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate and follow instructions effectively from a diverse group of clients, attorneys and staff to provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact
- Approximately one to two years on the job experience necessary in order to gain an understanding of law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision
Work occasionally requires a high level of mental effort and strain while producing a high volume of information performing other essential duties.
When pre-approved by supervisor, work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.