Bernard L. Karr
Bernie focuses his practice on estate planning for business owners, executives, and professionals; family business succession planning; taxation; and charitable planning. He is the author of numerous tax and estate planning articles. Bernie is accredited as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association.
Bernie earned a J.D., cum laude, from The Ohio State University College of Law in 1973. He received a LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law in 1978 and a B.S. from Bowling Green State University in 1969.
- Defense of estate tax audits where IRS asserts substantial tax deficiencies.
- Sale of assets to intentionally defective grantor trusts to reduce estate taxes.
- Use of Graegin Note to reduce estate tax by seven figures.
- Corporate reorganization creating multiple classes of common stock to effect transfer of stock to next generation without losing control in senior generation.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
Admissions - State
- The Ohio State University College of Law
- New York University School of Law
- Bowling Green State University
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2019)
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyer distinction and Top 50 Cleveland/Akron Ohio Super Lawyer distinction
- The Best Lawyers in America for trusts and estates for 26 consecutive years
- American College of Trust and Estate, Fellow
- Northern Ohio Live 300 Best Lawyers
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Cleveland Zoological Society, Board
- Fred E. Scholl Charitable Foundation, Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Board of Directors
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland, Director
- 41 attorneys from McDonald Hopkins recognized as 2020 Best Lawyers®
- Seventeen attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2019 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 22 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 35 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2018
- 39 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers 2017
- 24 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- 41 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2016