Bernie focuses his practice on estate planning for business owners, executives, and professionals; family business succession planning; taxation; and charitable planning. He is the author of numerous tax and estate planning articles. Bernie is accredited as a Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the Ohio State Bar Association.
Bernie earned a J.D., cum laude, from The Ohio State University College of Law in 1973. He received a LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law in 1978 and a B.S. from Bowling Green State University in 1969.
- Defense of estate tax audits where IRS asserts substantial tax deficiencies.
- Sale of assets to intentionally defective grantor trusts to reduce estate taxes.
- Use of Graegin Note to reduce estate tax by seven figures.
- Corporate reorganization creating multiple classes of common stock to effect transfer of stock to next generation without losing control in senior generation.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
Admissions - State
- New York University School of Law
- The Ohio State University College of Law
- Bowling Green State University
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2018)
- Top 100 Ohio Super Lawyer distinction and Top 50 Cleveland/Akron Ohio Super Lawyer distinction
- The Best Lawyers in America for trusts and estates for 24 consecutive years
- American College of Trust and Estate, Fellow
- Northern Ohio Live 300 Best Lawyers
- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Cleveland Zoological Society, Board
- Fred E. Scholl Charitable Foundation, Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Board of Directors
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland, Director
22 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
35 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2018
39 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers 2017
24 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
41 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2016
26 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- "The State of the Estate Tax - The return of the federal estate tax will require aggressive planning strategies," McDonald Hopkins Roundtable, January 2011