"I am the perpetual student. Learning from you enables me to help you determine and attain your estate planning goals."
Brian advises clients in all areas of estate planning and probate including estate and gift tax planning, avoidance or minimization of probate, and succession planning for closely held business owners. Brian helps clients implement plans involving trusts and other vehicles to meet clients’ tax and non-tax objectives. Brian also focuses on the income taxation of trusts and other entities such as qualified settlement funds and disputed ownership funds. Clients benefit from Brian’s experience in advising non-profit organizations and their donors concerning tax and non-tax issues.
Brian has been a frequent speaker and guest lecturer for many different groups, including the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association. Brian is accredited as Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law. Brian was Chair of the 2009 Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Estate Planning Institute.
Brian earned a J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif, from The University of Toledo College of Law in 1983. He received a B.A., magna cum laude, Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society, from John Carroll University in 1980.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Tax Court
Admissions - State
- The University of Toledo College of Law
- John Carroll University
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the Best Lawyers in America (2007-2019)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers (2005-2018)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lorain County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Probate and Trust Law Section
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Cudell Improvement, Inc., Board Member
- Edgewater Homeowners Association, Board Member
22 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
35 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2018
39 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers 2017
24 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
41 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers® 2016
26 attorneys at McDonald Hopkins named Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- "With the Election Now in Our Rearview Window, Possible Estate and Gift Tax Changes are on the Horizon," Lorain County Bar Association Legal Times, November 2012
- "How low interest rates plus low valuations create extraordinary planning opportunities," Smart Business Magazine, December 2011
- "Estate Planning and Title Insurance," published by the Probate Law Journal of Ohio, January/February 2011
- Family Transfers and Recapitalization | Wednesday, March 11, 2015
- "Estate Planning in Uncertain Times," SS&G Webinar, November 16, 2012