Joe brings a committed passion, yet practical approach, to solving clients’ problems in litigation and disputes. As an attorney at McDonald Hopkins LLC, Joe commits to represent clients with integrity and vigor. He takes pride in developing and implementing innovative strategies for clients, enabling them to efficiently achieve their personal and business goals.
Joe’s practice focuses on complex business litigation in federal and state courts. He represents and advises clients in connection with business and commercial litigation matters, such as contract and cognovit disputes, professional malpractice, landlord-tenant disputes, civil RICO, and other civil and business tort actions. Joe also has experience in the prosecution and defense of non-compete, trade secret, and unfair competition claims. In addition to his business litigation and trial experience, Joe also has experience in representing natural gas distribution and transmission companies in civil litigation, including lawsuits involving fires and explosions, natural gas leaks, personal injury claims, and real and personal property damages. Joe’s appellate practice covers every aspect of the appellate process from briefing to oral argument.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins LLC, Joe practiced complex litigation nationwide at a prominent Cleveland firm. With an emphasis on multidistrict litigation, he primarily focused on consumer and commercial law class actions, product liability and mass tort litigation. He also practiced business litigation.
Consistent with the firm’s commitment to community service and charitable support, Joe serves and supports various area charitable and community organizations.
- Representation of a Fortune 500 public utility company in real estate disputes and personal and property damage claims
- Representation of business and public entities in temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction actions, primarily involving real estate disputes
- Extensive experience in complex commercial class action litigation nationwide, achieving favorable results in multi-state warranty and consumer protection actions
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Xavier University
Honors and Awards
- Fr. Peter J. Buschmann Award (recognized academic, leadership and service achievements)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2017-2018)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Board of Trustees Member, Lorain Historical Society
- St. Edward High School Alumni Association
- Veterans’ Pro Bono Clinic, The Legal Aid Society of Cleveland
Selective enforcement defense is not available under Ohio law
Pending Missouri House Bill would ban almost all forms of restrictive covenants
Governor authorizes adoption of rules to create notification procedures for oil and gas emergencies
Clarification of Nuisance: An amorphous legal concept, referred to as law’s “garbage can”
Litigation Trend: Lawsuits Linked to Earthquakes
LEED Under Attack: Ohio Senate Opposes New Green Building Standards
- “The Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Its Impact on Virtually Every Industry: Recent Trends and Compliance Tips,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, January 2015
- “Civil RICO’s Strategic Application in Complex Civil Litigation,” Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal, May 2013