Joshua is a member in the Business Restructuring Services Department and counsels clients on strategic alternatives in distressed business settings. He regularly represents public and private companies, directors, officers, lenders, creditors, shareholders and strategic and financial investors. Joshua’s debtor practice involves advising companies and their boards of directors in business restructurings scenarios ranging from out-of-court restructurings to Chapter 11 reorganizations and liquidations. He also regularly advises boards and management teams on strategic, corporate and governance matters and regularly litigates in federal and state courts.
Selected for inclusion as a Michigan Rising Star (2015-2017) by Super Lawyers, he is a member of the Turnaround Management Association, Turnaround Management Association – NextGen and the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Prior to joining the firm, Joshua was an associate in the Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Practice at Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP in Chicago, Illinois.
Joshua earned a J.D., with honors, from Illinois Institute of Technology’s Chicago-Kent College of Law in 2008. He received a B.A., with honors, from Washington University in St. Louis in 2003.
- Bertucci’s Holdings, Inc. – Representing strategic buyer, who is also providing debtor-in-possession financing, in its stalking horse bid to acquire substantially all the assets of Bertucci’s, the owner and operator of full-service casual family restaurants located in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions.
- Central Grocers, Inc. – Represented wholesale cooperative and its subsidiaries, including Strack and Van Til Super Market, Inc., in their chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in Chicago, Illinois.
- Gulf Chemical & Metallurgical Corp. – Represented metals producer based in Freeport, Texas and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in its chapter 11 bankruptcy cases in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Keywell L.L.C. – Represented Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in chapter 11 bankruptcy case of leading supplier of recycled titanium, high-temperature alloys and stainless steel in North America.
- Werthan Packaging – Represented strategic buyer in its stalking horse bid and acquisition of substantially all the assets of Werthan Packaging out of bankruptcy.
- Awrey Bakeries LLC – Represented one of the largest privately owned baked goods producers in the country, in its out-of-court restructuring, wind-down and going concern Article 9 sale to Minnie Marie Bakers, Inc.
- City of Detroit – Represented Syncora Guarantee and Syncora Capital Assurance in the City of Detroit chapter 9 bankruptcy case in connection with Syncora’s holdings of the City’s certificates of participation and as insurers of certain of the City’s swap and COPs obligations.
- Park Place Christian Community of Elmhurst – Represented continuing care retirement community in pre-negotiated chapter 11 bankruptcy in Chicago, Illinois, which restructured over $150 million in bond debt.
- Edison Mission Energy – Represented Edison Mission Energy (EME) as conflicts counsel in its chapter 11 restructuring of approximately $3.7 billion of senior unsecured notes and other obligations; represented EME subsidiary, Camino Energy, as primary debtor’s counsel. EME, through its subsidiaries, owns or leases and operates a portfolio of more than 40 electric generating facilities powered by coal, natural gas, wind, and biomass (with aggregate existing project indebtedness of approximately $1.5 billion), as well as an energy marketing and trading operation.
- Billnat Corporation dba Sav-On Drugs – Represented chapter 11 debtor in successful sale of its regional drugstore chain to CVS.
- Lee Steel Corporation – Represented chapter 11 debtors in successful sale of its steel service business to Union Partners and its excess manufacturing facility to Hilco Industrial and Hilco Real Estate in a transaction fully paying the lender and earning the TMA Chicago/Midwest Small Deal of the Year 2016.
- Kurz-Kasch – Represented leading manufacturer of conventional coils and stators, engineered composite components and subassemblies, magnetic/electrical/electronic sensing devices, and high performance solenoids in its out-of-court restructuring.
- Real Alloy Recycling – Representing holder of 503(b)(9) claims in chapter 11 cases filed by leading aluminum producer.
- Tribune Company – Represented Tribune Company’s two largest former shareholders and dozens of other former shareholders, all defendants in several fraudulent transfer lawsuits where plaintiffs sought to claw back payments made to shareholders during Tribune’s leveraged buy-out in 2007.
- Lake County Family Young Men’s Christian Association – Represented Illinois not-for-profit corporation in its out-of-court restructuring, wind down, and assignment for the benefit of creditors.
- TSC Global, LLC – Represented company involved in the sale, marketing, and distribution of consumer brand products, including “e-cigarettes,” to top retailers, travel centers, and truck stops, in its out-of-court restructuring, wind down, and two UCC Article 9 sales.
- Hess Industries, Inc. – Represented manufacturer of heavy equipment and metal forming machines in its out-of-court restructuring and eventual chapter 7 filing.
- Represents secured lenders in all phases of commercial mortgage foreclosure litigation.
- Represented plaintiff, pro bono, in race and sex discrimination lawsuit brought against his employer.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Admissions - State
- Illinois Institute of Technology - Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Washington University in St. Louis
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Michigan Rising Stars (2015-2017)
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Member, Chicago Board, Indego Africa
New Senate bill would force bankruptcy filings closer to home
Venue Reform Unlikely for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases
Bankruptcy Unlikely to Save East Cleveland
Decision Day in Detroit
Anyone buying the new iPhone 6 at RadioShack? Anyone? Bueller?
Will Michigan's Proposed Detroit "Bailout" Trickle Down to Other Municipalities?
Michigan Municipalities on the Brink
Fisker Update: Debt Purchaser Loses at Auction
May Secured Claim Purchaser Credit Bid the Full Face Value of Its Claim at a Bankruptcy Sale? Delaware Bankruptcy Court Says "Not So Fast."
Leveraged Buyouts: Selling Shareholders Beware
- "Gadharf Excited for Debtor Work In New McDonald Hopkins Gig," DBR Small Cap, June 22, 2012
- “The Decline of Traditional Pensions, the Impact of the Pension Protection Act of 2006, and the Future of America’s Defined-Benefit Pension System,” 83 CHI.-KENT L. REV. 1409 (2008)