Julie A. Micalizzi is an associate in the firm’s Intellectual Property Department. She has a background in biochemical, mechanical, and biomedical fields. Julie has experience with all aspects of intellectual property, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. Julie’s expertise includes preparing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications in the U.S. and abroad. Julie is also highly involved with trademark counseling and portfolio management, including development of business strategy to maximize the value of a trademark portfolio. Julie has done extensive work with the enforcement and defense of patents, trademarks, and trade dress, including drafting opinions, document review, and pursuing claims of infringement, unfair competition, false advertising, and counterfeiting through litigation.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Julie served as a legal extern with Cleveland Clinic Innovations and Parker Hannifin, as well as a legal intern with the Milton A. Kramer Law Clinic, Health Clinic.
Julie earned her J.D., cum laude, from the Case Western Reserve University School of Law in 2017, where she graduated with a double concentration in Patent Law and Health Law, each with honors. While at Case Western, Julie received two CALI Excellence Awards, the ABA, BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of IP, and the Arthur E. Petersilge Award. She also received a B.S., cum laude, in Biochemistry and Humanities from Villanova University in 2014, where she was a presidential scholar.
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Villanova University
Honors and Awards
- CALI Excellence Award, Health Law II
- CALI Excellence Award, Wills, Trusts and Future Interests
- ABA/BNA Award for Excellence in the Study of IP
- Arthur E. Petersilge Award
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Legal Aid Brief Advice and Referral Clinic (2015)
- Misappropriation of Genetic Resources in Africa: A Study of Pentadiplandra Brazzeana, Impatients Usambarensis, and Combretum Micranthum, 8 Case W. Res. J.L. Tech. & Internet Article 2, 2017