Karina is an associate in the firm’s Labor and Employment and Litigation Practice Groups. Karina’s experience includes representing employers in a variety of labor and employment and workplace injury matters, including but not limited to claims of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation, issues involving the Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, National Labor Relations Act and both federal and state wage and hour statutes. She has been involved in defending matters in both state and federal court and before the EEOC, Ohio Civil Rights Commission, Department of Labor, and other administrative bodies. Karina also regularly advises employers on issues involving employment law compliance and policy development.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Karina was an associate at a national employment law firm.
Karina earned a J.D., Order of the Coif, from West Virginia University College of Law in 2011 and a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice & Psychology, summa cum laude, from Glenville State College in 2008.
- Second chair at trial resulting in judgment as a matter of law in favor of the defendant corporation.
- Obtained injunctive relief and reinstatement of high school student athlete denied eligibility by WVSSAC.
- Successfully represented employers in numerous charges of discrimination before the EEOC and state agencies.
Admissions - Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- West Virginia
- West Virginia University College of Law
- Glenville State College
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars (2018)
- Glenville State College, Young Alumna of the Year (2014)
- American Inns of Court
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Chair, Labor and Employment Law Committee 2014
- Women in Energy Network
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- “The Tipping Point: The Problem of Prison Overcrowding Nationally, in the State of West Virginia and Recommendations for Reform,” Student Note (W.Va. Law Review, Vol. 113)
- "Georgia Court to Unseal USA Gymnastics Complaint Records, Testimony in Negligence Lawsuit,” Author, Jackson Lewis Collegiate & Professional Sports Law Blog (September 1, 2016)
- EMLF 39th Annual Institute Meeting | Sunday, June 17, 2018
- Contemporary Workplace Issues: Marijuana, #MeToo and More | Wednesday, June 13, 2018
- You've Been Served: Why employers get sued and how to avoid it | Wednesday, June 14, 2017