Jeff represents public and private corporations and business professionals in all aspects of litigation in federal and state courts and before various arbitration venues.
Jeff specializes in general business litigation, including contracts, insurance, corporate, real estate, unfair competition and commercial disputes. His practice also includes oil and gas litigation.
From 2001 to 2005, he served as General Counsel for Metaldyne Corporation. Metaldyne is a manufacturer of high quality steel components and subassemblies for the automobile industry, with facilities in the United States and throughout the world.
In 40 years as a litigator, he has tried numerous corporate and personal injury cases in state and federal courts and has represented businesses and business professionals in many arbitrations. Jeff cochairs the firm's Pro Bono and Public Service Committee and Appellate Practice Committee.
Jeff earned his J.D. from Northeastern University School of Law in 1976. He received a M.T.S. from Harvard University in 1971 and a B.A. from DePauw University in 1968.
- Oil and Gas
Represented a group of mineral holders in the determination of their rights before the Supreme Court of Ohio involving a case of first impression before the court under the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act.
Represented the owner of residential real estate complexes in a federal lawsuit initiated by a cable television company pursuant to the Cable Communications Act to enable it to continue to supply cable telephone services to the tenants of the apartment complexes. After a preliminary injunction hearing, the court determined that the cable television company had no right to provide cable television services to individual apartments without permission from the apartment owner.
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
Represented plaintiff corporation in a lengthy injunction hearing in federal court involving trademark infringement, unfair competition, deceptive trade practices, and misappropriation of trade secrets. The court granted the preliminary injunction.
Represented the plaintiff franchisor in a federal court jury trial regarding claims for breach of franchise agreement. Jury verdict for plaintiff.
- Bankruptcy Breach of Contract Adversary Proceeding
Represented defendant hotel manager in claims asserted in bankruptcy court by multiple hotel chain owners seeking a declaratory judgment to terminate management contracts. The case was tried to the court after which judgment was rendered in favor of the defendant.
Represented Great Lakes freighter companies in jury trials in federal court involving claims of personal injury by seamen under the Jones Act and the doctrine of unseaworthiness.
Represented plaintiff manufacturer in a jury trial in federal court to recover proceeds of credit insurance. Jury verdict in favor of plaintiff for the full amount of the claim.
- Attorney Disciplinary Proceedings
Represented the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association pro bono against attorneys charged with ethical misconduct in proceedings before the Board of Professional Conduct and the Supreme Court of Ohio. In all cases before the Supreme of Ohio, the sanctions against the attorney were upheld or increased.
- Class Action
Represented a health maintenance organization regarding rights to the return of certain fees withheld from physicians to fund reserves.The case was certified as a class action with trial to the court.
Represented parties in many cases involving contract disputes. In addition, served as an arbitrator in many cases which have been tried before me as the sole arbitrator or as one arbitrator in a panel.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
Admissions - State
- DePauw University
- Harvard University
- Northeastern University School of Law
Honors and Awards
- NAACP Civil Rights Champion Award, 2012
- Legal Aid Society of Cleveland Community Impact Award, 2015
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Trial Counsel in Disciplinary Proceedings before the Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Alternate Dispute Resolution Panel of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division
- Ohio Eighth District Judicial Conference (Life Member)
- Adjunct Professor, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (1994-2000)
- American Arbitration Association (Member), National Roster of Neutrals
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Deaconess Community Foundation, Trustee
- Magnolia Clubhouse, Inc., Trustee
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (Cleveland Chapter), Trustee
- Recovery Resources, Trustee
- Woodruff Foundation, Trustee
- NAACP Civil Rights Champion Award, 2012
- Leadership Council, Harvard Divinity School
- Chair, Lawyers' Mental Health Task Force (2010 - 2014)
"More than surface value: Mineral rights ownership issues run deep" Jeff Pollock quoted in The Times Reporter
"Ohio Supreme Court: Which Dormant Mineral Act applies?" Jeff Pollock quoted in Farm and Dairy
Ohio Supreme Court ruling a win for mineral holders
"Five new members appointed to Laurel Lake board of directors," John Mulligan featured
- Energy Forum: Oil and gas revisited | Wednesday, June 15, 2016