Owen focuses his practice on comprehensive commercial litigation matters, employment discrimination claims and workers compensation disputes, product liability and construction litigation. He has counseled clients in matters involving contract disputes, fraud, civil conspiracy, restrictive covenants, improper solicitation, misappropriation of trade secrets, product and premises liability, and employment discrimination claims. His construction litigation experience includes representing general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in litigation matters involving defective and incomplete work, construction delays, payment disputes, mechanic liens, and construction negligence claims. Owen has represented mortgage and note purchasers in foreclosure actions involving both commercial and large multi-unit residential properties. He has also defended numerous clients in product liability cases, including alleged asbestos exposure. In the area of estate and trust litigation, Owen has represented decedents and individual estates in matters related to will contests, heirship determination and guardian appointments.
Owen is committed to finding the best and most practical solutions for his clients and, as his clientele has grown, Owen has drawn from the talent and experience of other attorneys at McDonald Hopkins to give his clients the answers that make sense legally and practically.
Owen earned his J.D. from the University of Illinois College of Law in 2001. He received a B.A. from the University of Illinois--Champaign-Urbana in 1998.
- Obtained a $517,500 judgment on behalf of a material hauler against a municipality for failure to obtain the required bond for public improvement.
- Lead counsel for subcontractor in litigation to collect on mechanic lien claim for over $500,000 resulting in full payment to the subcontractor including statutory interest.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of subcontractor which resulted in dismissal of claims for construction negligence and premises liability.
- Obtained dismissal in favor of surety on a claim for indemnification by public entity.
- Obtained judgment and full payment for client in litigation for breach of a contract to purchase equipment which culminated in a fraudulent transfer and assignment of property.
- Obtained dismissal for numerous clients in asbestos product liability matters.
- Lead counsel in litigation involving sale of construction equipment resulting in full payment to client including statutory interest and attorney’s fees.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Admissions - State
- University of Illinois - Champaign-Urbana
- University of Illinois College of Law
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Rising Stars (2010-2014)
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Misercordia Heart of Mercy – Volunteer
- Youth Boxing Organization – Volunteer
As Water Runs Short, Drillers Are Investing In Water-Saving Efforts
Illinois' Squandered Energy Opportunity
Governor Quinn signs asbestos changes into law
Fracturing opponents appeal Illinois court decision
Fracking set to begin in Illinois
Yet another delay for hydraulic fracturing in Illinois
Joint Committee Delays Action On Illinois Hydraulic Fracturing Rules
Hydraulic Fracturing Reaches Final Hurdle in Illinois
Delay In Fracking Rules May Be Costing Illinois Job Opportunities
Is Illinois Missing the Boat on Hydraulic Fracturing?
No Contractor’s Sworn Statement, Then Your Lien Is Unenforceable
Recent EPA Proposal Stirs Illinois Fracking Debate