"I’m a problem solver for businesses. I provide real-time advice before a dispute escalates into the courtroom and help businesses navigate litigation if it arises. I help business owners protect their most valuable assets – their customer and supplier relationships, their human capital, technology, confidential information, and trade secrets."
Tim has extensive experience in the areas of business and commercial litigation with particular emphasis on manufacturing, supply chain, automotive, business, non-compete/trade secret, and sales representative disputes. He has represented Tier I and Tier II automotive suppliers on a wide range of legal matters, including tooling disputes and supplier disputes involving pricing and commercial terms. Tim has litigated non-compete, non-disclosure, and trade secret matters in nearly every industry. Tim also litigates matters involving data security and data privacy, including matters involving wire fraud and ransomware, across the country, and advises clients in efforts to resolve these matters short of litigation.
Tim’s expertise is providing real time advice to manufacturers and other businesses before disputes cannot be resolved. This includes drafting and reviewing contracts and terms and conditions to identify potential risks, and counseling clients on supply chain matters to best position them in the event of a dispute. In the construction industry, Tim’s experience includes representing contractors in disputes involving the design and construction of factories and assembly lines in both the public and private sectors.
Tim also has experience defending privately held corporations in shareholder oppression disputes, defense a company’s individual directors and officers, and defense of companies in ERISA benefits litigation.
Tim earned a J.D. from Wayne State University, graduating magna cum laude as part of the Order of the Coif in 2005. He received a B.A. from Aquinas College, graduating magna cum laude in 2002.
- Regularly advises manufacturing clients in issues related to the supply of parts both up and down the supply chain. This includes analysis of purchase orders and supply agreements to determine the best strategy to meet the clients goals, and the litigation of supply disputes when a resolution cannot be achieved.
- Successfully obtained preliminary and permanent injunctive relief and monetary damages while enforcing non-competition agreements in a variety of industries.
- Represented automotive clients in commercial disputes related to product recalls.
- Counseled manufacturers of consumer products on issues related to product safety recalls including requirements for government notification and potential liability.
- Represented logistics suppliers in a variety of industries in the provision of logistics services, including justintime delivery of parts, kitting, sequencing, and other related services.
- Represented automation contractor in a dispute involving the construction of a facility for the manufacture of airplane wings.
- Successfully represented multiple manufacturing companies in supply disputes related to the termination of contracts from both the customer and supplier perspective. Successfully obtained injunctive relief requiring suppliers to both ship parts and release tooling.
- Successfully defended global logistics company in defense of claims related to failed MRO program involving issues related to ontime delivery and electronic ordering and delivery processes.
- Obtained summary judgment for bank accused of fraudulently approving commercial loans.
- Favorably resolved claim involving multimillion dollar escrow from purchase and merger of international company.
- Won arbitration award for software and controls company related to construction of an assembly line to manufacture munitions.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
Admissions - State
- Wayne State University Law School
- Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Michigan Super Lawyers (2013-2017)
- Selected for inclusion in Michigan Rising Stars (2012)
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Critical updates coming to state non-compete laws
Aggressive state action being taken over noncompete agreements
Selective enforcement defense is not available under Ohio law
Court of Appeals interprets Michigan moldbuilders lien statute
Companies incorporate The Internet of Things at manufacturing plants, but at what risk?
Auto suppliers should review terms and conditions in wake of expanding recalls
6 critical questions your sales rep agreements must answer
Michigan Court of Appeals Rules on Meaning of Common Control for Property Tax Uncapping Purposes
- "How sales representative agreements can provide both a shield and a sword," Smart Business Detroit, September 2011
- "Sales Rep Agreements, are you protected?" HBMA Billing, December 2010
- "U.S. Supreme Court Decides Issue of Arbitrability of Contract," McDonald Hopkins Alert, July 2010
- The Refractories Institute 2017 Fall Institute Meeting, October 2017
Non-Compete and Trade Secret Law Update, The Transformer Association 2018 Spring Meeting, April 2018