Ryan T. Neumeyer is a member in the Litigation Department’s Labor and Employment Practice Group. He came to McDonald Hopkins after 10 years at a boutique labor and employment firm.
Ryan has the distinction of being a Certified Specialist in the practice of labor and employment law by the Ohio State Bar Association. He represents and counsels management on a variety of employment law matters, such as employee leave, overtime, disability accommodations, termination and layoff decisions, and workplace injuries. He is a frequent lecturer on employment law topics. Earlier in his career, Ryan was an appellate attorney for the Office of the State Appellate Defender in Chicago and an extern for the Honorable Alice M. Batchelder, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Ryan earned a J.D. from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, cum laude, and a B.A. from Mount Union College. Ryan is also an Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist in Labor and Employment Law. The Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Certification of Attorneys as Specialists accredits the Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA) to certify Ohio attorneys as specialists.The OSBA undergoes rigorous and continuous review for compliance with the standards established for certification.
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Mount Union College
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star (2014-2017)
- Ohio State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section (Member)
- Cleveland Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section (Member)
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Board of Directors, Community Service Alliance.
Addressing workplace violence during the holiday season
Employment Law Q&A: Can an employer require prayer in the workplace?
Employment Law Q&A: Using intermittent FMLA leave for child care
Employment Law Q&A: How do I ensure my job posting is not discriminatory?
Confronting violence in the workplace: OSHA’s general duty clause
10 things employers should know or do related to the threat of workplace violence
An overview of Ohio's EDGE program following an investigative report by the inspector general
Employment Law Q&A: Can an employer pay non-exempt employees less for travel time?
Helpful holiday tips for employers
Workplace violence: 10 things employers need to know or do
#MeToo applies to more than just sexual harassment
Employment Law Q&A: Should I require my employees to sign arbitration agreements?
Employment Law Q&A: Jury duty obligations for employers
Employment Law Q&A: May I monitor an employee’s emails and internet usage?
3 ways to build a better residential construction contract
OSHA’s new injury and illness reporting requirements
4 tips for handling employee call-offs
6 action items for the holidays
6 factors to consider to ensure that your subcontractors are NOT employees
5 steps for making an employment decision based on a background check
Employment Law Q&A: Can you request a candidate’s salary history?
Employment Law Q&A: 5 ways to address intermittent leave under the FMLA
10 wage and hour questions every employer needs to answer
Employment Law Q&A: 5 steps for dealing with reasonable accommodation requests under the ADA
Seventh Circuit rules that sexual orientation is a protected class under Title VII
Employment Law Q&A: Salary deductions for exempt employees
Department of Labor delays crystalline silica standard in construction
Employment Law Q&A: FMLA employer coverage
Employment Law Q&A: New firearm law affects Ohio employers
- Updating Employee Handbooks: The Latest Rules and Guidance | Thursday, February 27, 2020
- 20 Employment Law Challenges for 2020 | Thursday, January 23, 2020
- Violence in the Workplace | Thursday, October 24, 2019
- Cybersecurity: Technology, Risk and the Law | Monday, September 23, 2019
- Confronting Violence in the Workplace | Monday, May 6, 2019
- HR and Legal Training for Managers and Supervisors in Today's Workplace | Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Claims | Ohio Employment Law Seminar | Monday, December 10, 2018
- Discrimination and Harassment | Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now | Wednesday, October 3, 2018
- The FLSA | NBI Advanced Employment Law: What You Need to Know | Tuesday, August 7, 2018
- Contemporary Workplace Issues: Marijuana, #MeToo and More | Wednesday, June 13, 2018
- 18th Annual Northern Ohio labor and Employment Law Conference | Thursday, April 19, 2018
- Human Resource Law Boot Camp | Wednesday, February 14, 2018
- Human Resource Law Boot Camp | Wednesday, December 6, 2017
- Human Resource Law | Wednesday, June 21, 2017
- You've Been Served: Why employers get sued and how to avoid it | Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- 17th Annual Northern Ohio Labor and Employment Law Conference | Thursday, April 20, 2017
- Presenter, "Improve Your Contracts to Improve Your Bottom Line: Contract Provisions that Contractors Need," NARI Greater Cleveland General Membership Meeting & Educational Conference, February 21, 2018